Flint official punished for water crisis: she must write an apology letter, will not serve time

You noticed she is white, I take it?

1 Like

The kind of well-armed Americans you’re talking about are also likely to be “temporarily embarrassed millionaires” who are hoping that when they have their future chance to profit by screwing over others that they won’t get shot.

Stalinism. Although that term is a bit broader than required.

5 Likes

I hope her wrist will be okay!

2 Likes

Well I guess that’s all settled then.

8 Likes

Yes, that killed my dog. I don’t think it’s comparable to the series of decisions beginning with the governor removing the democratically elected city council from power,a nd replacing him with a personal appointee that made this call, that kicked all this off.

The woman in the post failed to be a check against that error, but it wasn’t her decision to not pay for the 60K of chemical treatment that would have kept the pH stable and the water drinkable. That was on the governors friend there.

3 Likes

Digging graves with hand tools might be appropriate.

4 Likes

Yeah, but that was in a country that occasionally feels obliged to pretend that the justice system applies to the ruling class. The American peasantry are not so lucky.

3 Likes

The actual culprit, Rick Snyder, announced - AFTER the whole situation became public knowledge - that they WOULDN’T be switching back to drinkable water. Despite knowing about the whole thing.

Yet from him, there is only… silence.

3 Likes

Plea bargains are the system, that’s how we get 98% of the convictions. We wouldn’t want to pay for the trials. It’s a mess.

But in this case, this is how you do it, you nail a low level person, and use their testimony against the higher level people, all the way up.

AKA “if you abandon all considerations of justice, you can run a police/prison control regime on the cheap”.

3 Likes

I know that’s “how it’s done” - I’ve spent some time as part of that system and know it well. But there is some debate at least in the international community about whether that kind of system is the best. I don’t take it on faith that this is the only way it can be done, or that there is no way to achieve high level convictions without bargaining out lower level co-conspirators.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.