Floating midge larvae regulate their buoyancy by changing the pH value of an organ

That’s pretty cool.

I didn’t know about Resilin, but I definitely trying to keep this on mind. Sound like a thing to keep an eye on.

6 Likes

Neat. Reading the headline I was wondering if it was something along the same lines as how the old baking powder toy submarines work, but I guess it’s a different principle.

1 Like

Oh yeah, something very different…

they change the pH level of the air-sac wall

BTW, this still does not explain where the buoyancy change comes from - it seems the air sac should fill with air, right?

Anyway, Resilin is the shit. Wow. How did I study biology, with a minor in systematics/entomology, and never heard of this material?

“The weird thing about resilin is that not only is it really elastic. It will swell if you make it alkaline and contract if you make it acidic.”

So just changing displacement volume.

1 Like

Wait, they don’t fill the things, they … erm… decrease the pressure in it and float because they make themselves larger?

1 Like

Imagine a filled scuba tank. It will sink. Now image the same mass of air in a giant underwater balloon…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.