Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread) (Part 1)

4 Likes
6 Likes

“It’s the result of well-above average river flows from increased rainfall since last fall, which has washed extra nutrients into the bay.”

“Those nutrients fuel the growth of microscopic plants. As the plants sink and die, they’re broken down by bacteria in a process that consumes oxygen, said the forecast’s co-author Jeremy Testa. “Most of the big organisms we’re familiar with can’t survive there,” he said.”

There haven’t been jellyfish for two years where I frequent the Bay. Anybody who knows the Bay knows something is very wrong.

6 Likes

So I guess those are our choices… Can I take C?

6 Likes
11 Likes

[insert heavy wheezing noise here]

8 Likes

I am literally unable to find an obscenity sufficient to express my dismay at seeing that graph. Once more, with feeling: it’s much much worse than we predicted it would be. It will get much worse much sooner than we predicted it would. And we still can’t get our fucking government to even admit that this might be a bit of a problem. :persevere:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/06/14/emails-trump-official-consulted-global-warming-rejecters/23749637/

Like fer instance…

5 Likes

Wish I could disagree.

12 Likes

Canada again promises to do what it already promised to do.

Alberta scrapped its carbon tax (which was too low to be meaningful, but doing away with it entirely is motion in the wrong direction).

(I’m USian, not Canadian, but I live on the same planet as them and I hope to keep viewing them as our saner neighbor to the north.)

3 Likes

10 Million Thirsty People in Chennai

_107411500_54776d65-9e82-42b4-97a0-c93804dbefc1

“The destruction has just begun,” an official said. “If the rain fails us this year too, we are totally destroyed.”

World map showing water stress:

“Global patterns of changes in groundwater levels (adapted map with trends in groundwater level change from Deltares, 2017[1]) and overview of cities located in areas with high water stress (adapted Aqueduct global map showing baseline water stress1)”

“… a severe drought risk and sharply falling groundwater levels: Ashgabat, Baku, Canberra, Cape Town (high drought hazard upstream), Houston, San Marino, Sydney, Tripoli.
… a severe drought risk: Algiers, Amman, Ankara, Astana, Baghdad, Bangalore, Beirut, Bucharest, Casablanca, Damascus, Hargeysa, Jerusalem, Lima, Lisbon, London, Los Angeles, Luanda, Madrid, Monaco, Monterrey, Rabat, San Francisco, Sanaa, Santiago, Skopje, Tashkent, Tirana, Tunis, Urumqi,” -Deltares.nl

Capetown, SA is worried about the same thing happening to them and is planning for it:

7 Likes
7 Likes

So, shockingly, IPCC forecasts continue to be way optimistic and the effect of positive feedback loops continue to be underestimated. And yet our government remains firmly in the hands of deniers. Obscenities fail me. Our kids will curse us. Is that not sufficient threat? Seriously?

8 Likes
5 Likes

oh, so just seventy fucking years sooner? thats not a concern at all; all we need is a… ehm…anybody saw a funny looking deLorean around?

seriously, saw this also today; if this is truly like its reported…there is your tipping-point, live, in color and realtime, which is very likely irreversible, even if humanity would stop right now with greenhousegas-emissions.

fucking seventy years sooner as…sigh, again…as thought.

I predict we will see a mostly ice-free summer-arctic within 5 to 10 years.

5 Likes

Make Greenland Green Again!

2 Likes

Option B – lots and lots of people – is the most likely. For perspective, around 1850, the total world population was 1.2-billion (compared to today’s 7.7-billion), so an 85% die-off wouldn’t mean the end of humans. The questions in that scenario (or one far less dire – say the Black Death’s 30% toll) are: which humans would survive and what kinds of civilisations would have ensured their survival? The answer to both questions is very likely: horrible ones that none of us here would be willing to live with.

Lately, when I pass small children in the street or in the park, my usual delight in seeing them is tempered by a profound sadness about the world they’re going to have to live in. I doubt I’m alone in this.

8 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

dont know if anybody already posted this; Ed Hawkins has updated his “warming-stripes” graphics, now for every part of the world an extra illustration for local warming:

https://showyourstripes.info/

I find the most compelling and represantive stripes are the ones from brazil (which makes sense in a way, the rainforests were the most stable ecosystems and weatherpattern with not much change once established)

(via sciencealert)

5 Likes

I kinda wish these were granular enough to show stripes for both eastern and western Washington, since they’re such wildly different biomes. Even so, while more chaotic than the rainforest, there’s still a notable trend in the state-level data.

2 Likes