Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Holy shit, that’s pasteurization temps! Sterilizing your soil is a very bad idea. Not to mention what it says about air temps and human survivability.

16 Likes

“The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain…where it sizzles for a moment before evaporating.”

14 Likes

If it hits the ground at all.

7 Likes

This will kill not only plants but also insects and worms. Bye bye, agriculture.

6 Likes

:scream:

The highest recorded UK temperature is 38.7°C

I know this is the worst case, but even the most likely temperature is really bad for me, as I haven’t coped with high temperatures ever since I got CFS. I get grumpy and unpleasant when it is over 24°C, and start getting lethargic when it is over 27°C. Britain’s humidity makes things worse.

9 Likes

Crikey. I remember when hitting 30C was such a bizarre event that the country would effectively shut down.

8 Likes

That’s awful. That’s insanely hot.

Do what you can to take care of yourself in that weather.

7 Likes

Humans can’t survive sustained wet-bulb temperatures above 35°C. At 43°C dry bulb (i.e. standard) temps, that happens when the relative humidity is above about 55%. Given what I know about England, this seems… bad.

7 Likes

It is certainly not comfy here at the moment. I live pretty much bang in the bloody middle.
Yesterday was horrible, unrelenting heat and I had to traffic water from the well at the allotment uphill twice, did not enjoy that. Today has been thankfully overcast yet really humid. Now we’ve had mild rains, which won’t help overnight humidity but saves me a trip to the well.
No matter how much water I can actually lay my hands on, the ground is cracked-to-fuck to a depth of six inches or more.
My veggie haul will be sparse this year.
I cannot imagine the impact on any growers/farmers much south of these latitudes.

6 Likes

Oddly enough, we’re not seeing too many issues with heat or dryness yet, we don’t have heavy clay soil, and are by the ocean, so we get those temperature difference breezes during the day. I will update on Tuesday, as we’re right in that possible 40+ purple zone, but I’ve been through that, I grew up an hour north from Mandysan, though, A/C everywhere really does help.

6 Likes

Wishing you luck, will await update.

(that sounded a bit more NASA than I usually am, soz).

2 Likes

iknownurthing we have a problem…

Actually though, I’ve gone full on hot climate plants for my vegetables…

My three sisters…

4 Likes

Nice one.

But what are those?

2 Likes

In case this is an option (temporarily, and you’d need the electric grid to work because the freezer is where chilled refills are swapped with exhausted [warmed] packs):

https://www.amazon.com/ice-vest/s?k=ice+vest

I wear them. They are ok for the hottest part of the day. Use according to manufacturer instructions. IANAD.

I work outside in central Texas. It was 110°F (43.33°C) two days ago.

7 Likes

they’re recycling all our headlines from last year

“heat dome” is not our friend

4 Likes

Courgettes, french green beans and corn, growing together.

4 Likes

Ah, I learn something new today. Thanks, they look great.

1 Like
3 Likes

Silent Spring was written in the 50s. And here we are again.

4 Likes
7 Likes