Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

You’ve just given me an idea. I have an area where the ground water is so plentiful that we often can’t mow the grass because it’s too wet. Not sure if my part of Indiana is too far north for almonds. But wouldn’t that be cool?!

9 Likes

Sounds like a good spot for celery?

6 Likes

That would be an odd choice, but I get where you’re going with this!

6 Likes

We were trialing the Hardy Almond. Our drought has been murder. We’re losing native trees and I’ve lost nearly all my heirloom, usually tough as nails, roses.

Hardy to USDA Zone 6.
YMMV.
I’d plant it on a southern exposure, very well mulched, with a buffer or wall sheltering it from north winds. Almonds originated in the Mediterranean, so warmish is their jam.

9 Likes

We’re zone 5….darn!

7 Likes

Pecans, beeches, walnuts (look out for the juglone), pine nuts, and… chestnuts?

6 Likes

This is exactly the type i am planting. We are 6b, so maybe ok? We are very subject to late freezes in spring, sometimes that gets them. But my peaches do really well, so i expect almonds to do well.

8 Likes

Half the battle is getting a decent rootstock.

If you end up with late frost in the forecast, you can probably try to keep your trees “cold” by blocking out sunlight that warms the bark and gets the sap running up from the roots (below the soil line) too early. Once your trees break dormancy, it’s less about losing those precious buds and blooms and more about whether the trees will have sap freeze under the bark: winter sunscald. It’ll kill the whole tree if it’s a young one. Older bigger fruit trees just lose a lot of limbs. I’ve had it all happen here (8b).

If you have rainwater catch tanks, you can gain a measure of thermal buffering by planting the less cold-tolerant high value plants next to its thermal “bubble.” South side, for preference, out of reach of north winds.

6 Likes

Was going to suggest rice or watercress as a joke, but there do seem to be a decent amount of water loving fruit trees too: Moisture Loving Fruit Trees – Fruit Trees That Grow In Wet Conditions

5 Likes
8 Likes

Late last month, analysts at the investment bank Credit Suisse published a research note about America’s new climate law that went nearly unnoticed. The Inflation Reduction Act, the bank argued, is even more important than has been recognized so far: The IRA will “will have a profound effect across industries in the next decade and beyond” and could ultimately shape the direction of the American economy, the bank said. The report shows how even after the bonanza of climate-bill coverage earlier this year, we’re still only beginning to understand how the law works and what it might mean for the economy. . . .

The Credit Suisse report is truly remarkable. What stuck with me most was this declaration: For big corporations, the IRA “definitively changes the narrative from risk mitigation to opportunity capture.” In other words, companies should no longer worry that they might be unprepared for future climate regulation, such as a carbon tax. They should be scared of missing out on the economic growth that the energy transition (and the IRA) will bring about.

8 Likes

That sounds wonderful to me.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Couldn’t we have deployed some of those military pontoon bridges in Florida by now?

7 Likes

naw, see…
that wouldn’t be as photo-tastic as gov. moRon’s big idea of - wait for it -
amphibious landers! he would get to cosplay as a real leader in the fore of the first lander, one white fisheries gumboot propped on the prow all George Washington crossing the Delaware like and have his photogs and Fox news there to capture his moment of glory… yadda, yadda, yadda…

8 Likes

Those boots ain’t made for governing.

11 Likes

“Unusually low water levels along the Mississippi River have caused sections of the river to be closed, impacting all northbound and southbound shipping traffic,” the statement said.“

This is going to effect cargo - fall harvest.

8 Likes
7 Likes

B-movie remake of the Suez canal thing?

6 Likes
6 Likes