Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Especially nose clips. That is the route of entry through the nose, into the cribriform plate right into the ol’ gray matter. Then just nom nom nom.

10 Likes

7 Likes

Mistakes were made reading this over dinner.

6 Likes

And another tropical visitor/immigrant:

This one at least is pretty harmless. Just for reference, melanoma on the palms would be very weird, but not impossible. And this was a new one for me. Thanks, Philly.

9 Likes

fungus! fer’ners! fent’nyl! open borders!!! FREAK OUT!
AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!1!!
/s

sorry 'bout that. just channeling my neighborhood q-nut.

7 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes

Angry Frustration GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes
6 Likes
11 Likes

7 Likes

Cross post

7 Likes
6 Likes

EU proposal pushback

The Finnish forestry industry has pushed back at the demands called for by The EU Commission’s Nature Restoration Law proposal.

However, according to an expert who spoke to daily newspaper Helsingin Sanomat (HS), if implemented, the law would call for action that the forestry sector has already agreed to. The expert notes that, in the long run, continuing on that path will even pay off economically.

The Nature Restoration Law proposal has aroused heated debate in the Finnish forestry sector since being floated in June.

However, it is still in line with sustainability strategies already agreed to by the forestry sector, according to the Finnish Environment Institute’s (Syke) research director, Eeva Primmer.

“Finland has already committed to safeguarding the diversity of forests,and the country could meet the restoration act’s requirements mostly via forest management in commercial forestry and by becoming more ambitious with it,” Primmer told the paper.

She added that the new measures would even benefit the forestry sector by making it more sustainable.

Implementing the EU’s proposed restoration would cost Finland an estimated 900 million euros. But Primmer explains, the benefits of those measures could reach nearly 10 billion euros.

“Of course, the act has an impact on the forestry economy considering the implementation of the 30 percent conservation area goal. However, most areas do not require large and expensive measures, but managing retention trees, rotten wood and buffer strips, the same basic aspects of commercial forestry as today in the management of forests,” says Primmer.

The EU’s biodiversity strategy proposal calls for at least 30 percent of the EU’s land and sea areas to be protected by 2030. The proposed law also seeks to restore 20 percent of EU’s depleted land and sea area by 2030 and all ecosystems in need of restoration by 2050.

4 Likes

Along the same lines…

No paywall: https://archive.ph/7McoT

The WMO’s Greenhouse Gas Bulletin said that “global emissions have rebounded since the COVID-related lockdowns” and that the increases in methane levels in 2020 and 2021 were the largest since systematic record keeping began in 1983.

Atmospheric levels of the other two main greenhouse gases — carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide — also reached record highs in 2021, WMO study said. “The increase in carbon dioxide levels from 2020 to 2021 was larger than the average annual growth rate over the last decade,” it said.

5 Likes
8 Likes

UN weather agency: Greenhouse gases reach new record in 2021 | AP News

6 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

Humans suck at responding to non-acute disasters. This one is fast-moving enough to see the train coming, but slow enough to make it seem not worth the effort to get off of the tracks. “Someone will take care of it before it gets too bad” is a way-too common mindset.

10 Likes

Three times today – THREE times – I witnessed a car in the far left lane with no vehicles anywhere nearby (I was further back each time) pass several “left lane ending, merge right” signs and still not actually go over until the orange cones had so completely filled the left lane that they barely squeaked by without running them over.

7 Likes

“I’ll get back to driving as soon as I finish this text”

6 Likes