Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

I was surprised to learn, while at a winery in Alsace 20 years ago, that the owner’s cousin was one of the pioneers in producing wine in Québec, from locally grown grapes. At the time I’d thought growing :grapes: in Québec about as likely as growing :banana: .

Ontario :canada: wines have been suffering from the variable weather, though, with 2021’s early fall cold snap killing half the vines in Niagara. It is, of course, not just about the averages in the climate. :slightly_frowning_face:

(Now, will :finland: wine makers take inspiration from :greece: retsina and bring shades of the traditional :finland: pine tar hooch into the process? :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face: )

4 Likes
2 Likes

JFC it’s turning into one of those sci-fi movie scenes where planetary storms wipe out everything.

3 Likes

The heat index hit 127° in Kingsville, Texas, today — that’s a wet-bulb temperature of 86° :hot_face:

AWC - METeorological Aerodrome Reports (METARs)

Heat Index Calculator

Wet Bulb Calculator

1 Like

111.2°F

3 Likes
2 Likes

Mishmash of how US heat deaths are counted complicates efforts to keep people safe as Earth warms | AP News

5 Likes
2 Likes

This undercounting (and the post above mine) are giving me flashbacks to the COVID-19 pandemic. Members of the GOP tend to rely on denial, delayed action, and ducking responsibility. SSDD (that last D is for Disaster).

5 Likes

BBC News - When a ‘fire hurricane’ hit, Maui’s warning sirens never sounded

3 Likes
3 Likes

Flew over southern Alberta today, I think this is just into British Columbia :canada:. I count 4 wildfires in this photo. I saw at least 8 more in that area from my side of the plane.

1 Like
2 Likes

Bookmark this:

Montana is expected to appeal the ruling, according to Emily Flower, a spokesperson for the state’s Attorney General Austin Knudsen, who called the ruling “absurd.”
“Montanans can’t be blamed for changing the climate—even the plaintiffs’ expert witnesses agreed that our state has no impact on the global climate," Flower said

“We can’t change everything, so we should change nothing.” Now put any of the trans health care rulings in this statement, and the logic holds. “We can’t stop all trans kids from accessing healthcare, so we should stop none.”

(Yes, I know, it’s crossing the threads, but most will be reading both, i think.)

9 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes