Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

awww, fuck! we knew it would happen eventually, didnt we?

… it sure doesn’t look like it wants to come down any time soon, does it :confused:

In local news, our air locally smells like a bonfire. The surrounding forests are burning, nothing close enough to worry about fire damage to inhabited areas, but the air is rough, our kids with pulmonary issues are in trouble, especially combined with a ridiculous level of RSV and other respiratory viruses circulating at the moment.

It’s been really dry for quite a while, and I am actually surprised it took this long for something to get going, but it is certainly going now.

7 Likes

Visions of the future? Or will MoRon just outlaw discussion of flooding from now on?

9 Likes

If you ignore something, it just goes away, right? /s

8 Likes

Seems to be the thought process. I mean, it worked so well for covid, right?

7 Likes

I mean, a million Americans died, but they were gonna die anyways right! Better to get those stores open and send those kids back to school, no matter the costs! /s

5 Likes

A million Americans died, but also it turns out that for some reason none of them were healthy at the time of death, which somehow makes the disease not a concern?

3 Likes

here in the upper keys, we had tropical storm-force winds and rains from a “non-tropical” storm (meaning it was not clasdified as cyclonic, yet did spin up tornadoes in Big Pine and Marathon).
we here in the upper keys - Islamorada to Key Largo - were under tornado watch all night long.
this morning (16 Nov, 2023) we had our entire front yard, drive, gardens and decks and porches covered in tree branches, seaweed and sand. many out of power and roads blocked.
the weather station at Carysfort Reef lighthouse clocked maximum gusts at 87mph/ 140kmph just off Key Largo. that’s cat 1 hurricane force.

we got off light, but took some damage to the gardens and spent the entire day cleanong up.

7 Likes

Stay safe, man. We are thinking of you!

5 Likes

… I thought it rained all year on the East Coast :confused:

4 Likes

Think About It GIF

2 Likes

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/17/2023-plant-hardiness-map

The new zones are based on the average annual extreme minimum winter temperature from 1991–2020.
The previous map, released in 2012, was based on 1976–2005 data.

5 Likes

My wife just told me about this last night. We are now Zone 7a, have been 6b forever, but climate change is real. Waiting for the fascist backlash against this “woke” gardening.

7 Likes

“Why are all these maps in rainbow colors?” -somebody in 'murica

4 Likes

I can’t wait for saturday…

3 Likes

Huh, yup we just shifted to 7a too…

ETA: i think i still have some bok choy in the bed outside that can still be harvested… will have to look tomorrow.

2 Likes

no change down here, i notice. still zone 11 and i have had some starts of chilies and squash.
then we got our “surprise tropical storm” wednesday night and lost about half the plants in two of our raised beds.
strange days…
(oops… that was supposed to reply to @docosc )

7 Likes

Chicago has gone from 5a to 6a in about 20 years.

6 Likes
2 Likes