Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

6 Likes
4 Likes

So many threads this could fit to. I will just leave it here and go bang my head on the wall for a bit…

6 Likes
5 Likes

A group that helps get scientists elected to office wants to host a climate debate among the Democratic presidential candidates, despite the Democratic National Committee warning candidates against participating in any issue-specific debates. 314 Action is putting $100,000 toward a debate and is looking for environmental group partners to help make this debate a reality as soon as this fall.

5 Likes

I really hope this is a ruse to flush those criminals out of hiding.

(Criminals for what they’re doing to our future.)

3 Likes

I’d remove the seats of the cowards who left.

2 Likes

In Grifter News:

“The announcement comes a few months after lawmakers on the House Energy and Commerce Committee launched an investigation into whether Wehrum and his deputy improperly aided former energy industry clients after joining the EPA.”

5 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes

45ºC in Europe!!!

5 Likes

The stress I feel reading this brings my digestion to a halt. The body says: why invest in the future when the future is in doubt. How can this be real. We are so far past the point where the need for urgent action is obvious.

The article doesn’t even identify the meeting other than “a climate meeting in Bonn”. Or maybe I’m just not able to read in a straight line ATM. JFC. I suppose it’s these people. https://www.unbonn.org/index.php/node/13333

What’s wrong with avoiding targets? What’s wrong is we have a carbon budget to live within in order to have a 50% chance of not totally fucking ourselves and our future.

I’m working hard not to go stick my head in a gallon of ice cream. I would usually go for a hard ride at this point, but my bike is down for maintenace and anyway it’s thundering outisde. How apprpriate.

THREAD:

4 Likes

They may technically not be their own country, but Alberta fits right in on that list. That’s why BC’s eventual ban on gasoline engine vehicles is less about environmentalism and more “shots fired”. The price drop hit them hard, so if demand goes away… They’ve been strong-arming new pipelines and bribing people with revenue cheques. Outside of beef, they don’t have a lot of other major revenue streams, and climate change is already affecting beef.

2 Likes

from Eric Holthaus “saudi arabia context” thread:

saudiLogic

this has to be some satire-account. the whole thread there from “AlSabban” is just to absurd and ridiculous, as if it were 1985 all over again.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Saudi Arabia to the world: we have to be a desert, why shouldn’t you too? As you said, absurd, ridiculous and tragic.

2 Likes

Nothing to see here, just move along…

And BTW, that headline!

4 Likes

4 Likes
4 Likes

In fairness, I think it is safe to say that none of them are climate crisis deniers. What we need to know is policy details and differences, and 45 second sound bites are not a format suited to that kind of thing.

6 Likes