Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

6 Likes
4 Likes

US in deep freeze while much of the world is extra toasty? Yet again, it's climate change | AP News

4 Likes

However, Prof Andrew Shepherd, at the University of Northumbria, UK, said: “Although there was a step-change in glacier retreat at the turn of the century, it’s reassuring to see that the pace of ice loss has been steady since then and is still well below the levels needed to disturb the Amoc.

its already “disturbed”, dr professor downplayer (wtf?);

The Amoc was already known to be at its weakest in 1,600 years and in 2021 researchers spotted warning signs of a tipping point.

1 Like
1 Like

@FGD135 Will climate change cut off the Panama Canal? – DW – 05/29/2023

Answer is: yes.

The same lakes that fill the canal also provide water for more than 50 per cent of the country of more than four million people.

That planned alternative through Nicaragua seems to be DOA.

Mind you, there is a fairly quick fix available and I’m sure that 1970 study could be dusted off, especially now that we’re past 1995, when the Panama canal was supposed to hit capacity.

5 Likes

You know, that was the first thing that popped up in my head when I read the headline.

4 Likes
2 Likes

And as Colgan notes, the 30-million figure only takes into account the floating ice around the edges of the glacier. If you factor in the entire ice sheet, including below sea level, the total ice loss is around 9,000 and 10,000 tonnes a second, he estimated.

:thinking: That’s 32.4 to 36 million tonnes an hour.

To visualize, that’s about 1.5 to 1.7 times the average flow of the Niagara river (only half of which goes over the falls during tourist season) or about the average flow of the St. Lawrence River at Montreal.

2 Likes

Sorry to ask, but daily flow, hourly?

I had to look twice at the per hour, per second and tonnes instead of m³/s. :crazy_face:

I’m used to thinking in m³/s from kayaking, hence I went with tonnes/second as close enough. I was disappointed not to have an estimate from the original article of the gravitational force changes.

Assuming metric tonnes, here, right?

In the spirit of another ongoing thread on measurement systems I felt a comparison to some well known rivers might do the trick. :grin:

In order not to end up shame-cross-posted to that thread I resisted scaling it against the Rhein, Danube, Nile, Congo, Mississippi, Colorado, Hudson, Amazon… Youghiogheny… Hope you don’t feel left out. :smiley:

4 Likes
2 Likes

climatereanalyzer.org has been offline since yesterday. anybody knows something bout that? power outtage due weather maybe? kinda concerned.

It shows up for me at present.

1 Like

yep, its back. thnx,

1 Like

What (not) to Wear in the Cold

January 23, 2024 • 55 mins

James and Shereen discuss how to stay warm in the coldest winter yet and the warmest winter of the rest of our lives, because it will only get worse with Climate Change.

Clothing in the cold

Overall principles - cotton kills, it gets wet and stays wet and can freeze you

• It is not so much about staying dry as making sure you can dry off quickly

• Based on Mark Twight’s system , you essentially want to create a warm microclimate around your body which is warmer than the microclimate and will encourage and allow vapour transfer out into the world, not keep vapour around you

Base layer

Here you’re looking to wick moisture away from the skin and insulate while you’re warm. You want something that fits and allows you to move

Consider that wool can get misshapen and has to be treated with care but it doesn’t small like synthetic and it won’t melt and stick to you. Wool drys slower as well .

Don’t go too thick here, if it heats up or you heat up it really sucks to be locked into a thick warm base layer, I’d rather have a warmer active insulation layer and be able to strip down to a light base layer, for example when xc skiing uphill

Right now I am using a Black Diamond Rhythm which is a blend called Nuyarn, Men's Long Sleeve Rhythm T-Shirt | Black Diamond Equipment

when things get colder I have a 1/4 zip Artilect base 125gsm layer which I love. https://www.artilect.studio/us/m-boulder-125-1-4-zip-2211121-db-bk-1223#selection.color=6584

If you’re looking for value, I think Helly Hansen synthetic base layers are great, I have some that I got when I was 18. https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-Lightweight-Breathable-Baselayer/dp/B001N2MLYC/ref=asc_df_B001N2MLYC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128224504&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3455986774775180687&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031340&hvtargid=pla-559593705576&psc=1&mcid=c1a5450b28a23d6ba978cf0b812277bb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI69D566vlgwMViNLCBB1ofw77EAQYAiABEgLFGPD_BwE

For legs I really like the kuiu base layer underwear with side zips and sized tk not overlap with socks

Ultra Merino 145 Merino Wool Hunting Pants | KUIU

Wind layer

This takes the bite out of the wind while remaining breathable . It needs to be cut big enough to move around in and go over your active insulation , and possibly your parka for protecting it in camp. For this reason some people advocate for a thing wind shirt which you can wear UNDER layers and a soft-shell which provides abrasion tresistance and is sized to go over layers

I love the mountain hardware kor air shell . The Pertex quantum air fabric is incredible and it’s very small and light https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/mens-kor-airshell-hoody-1985031.html?dwvar_1985031_color=357

A more robust wind layer that is very well respected is the Arcteryx Gamma, it’s got a higher denier face fabric which will make it much more durable. It stretches well, is warmer, and is fine for light rain https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/gamma-hoody?cmpid=pm|mult|perf|google|Arc'teryx_Google-PMAX_S22_Performance_BOF_R:NAM_C:USA_L:EN|All_Products||{ad_id}&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pm|mult|perf&utm_campaign=Arc'teryx_Google-PMAX_S22_Performance_BOF_R:NAM_C:USA_L:EN&gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwa_ByKzlgwMVwBOtB

5 Likes

He’s definitely into brands, but I would say the basic formula is good:

• base layer, light and breathable;
  • warmth layer;
  • wind/waterproof layer.

Cover your head, cover your neck, cover your hands, cover your feet (first with good socks, then with good shoes).

7 Likes