Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

ETA

ETA

6 Likes
8 Likes

https://archive.ph/rHplm

6 Likes

finaly some straight talk and not pretending the 1.5 goal anymore;

Almost 80% of the respondents, all from the authoritative Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), foresee at least 2.5C of global heating above preindustrial levels, while almost half anticipate at least 3C (5.4F). Only 6% thought the internationally agreed 1.5C (2.7F) limit will be met…Nathalie Hilmi, at the Monaco Scientific Centre, who expects a rise of 3C, agreed: “We cannot stay below 1.5C.”

everybody buckle up.

e/

Instead, Cerezo-Mota expects the world to heat by a catastrophic 3C this century, soaring past the internationally agreed 1.5C target and delivering enormous suffering to billions of people. This is her optimistic view, she says.…“I think 3C is being hopeful and conservative. 1.5C is already bad, but I don’t think there is any way we are going to stick to that. There is not any clear sign from any government that we are actually going to stay under 1.5C.”

6 Likes
6 Likes

AIUI, we have already blown through 1.5oC but it has not held long enough yet to call it. I suppose we could suddenly cool off, but, I mean, seriously?

Earth surpasses 1.5 Celsius warming limit for 12 months for first time - The Washington Post

1 Like

https://wck.org/relief/brazil-floods

ETA

3 Likes

sure, 1.5-2 pinatubos per year for the foreseeable future could do it. co2 stays in the atmosphere for 100-200 years, so 2.5C are pretty much baked in already (with the growing earth-energy-imbalance on top), no matter what humanity does (except very risky intenional geo-engineering). all this nonsense about the remaining carbon-budget shows how delusional our society still is, because there is no “carbon-budget” left (to stay below 1.5C), that point was passed about 25 years ago.

I mean, its quite simple, our civilisation and current way of living is incompatible with life on earth and all that talk about the green energy transition is not gonna change that.

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned before, I think, that my brother worked at the Naval Research Lab for several years. They determined back in the 1990’s that we had passed most of the important tipping points for climate change already. This knowledge has informed where we have all settled since. Buckle up, it’s gonna get uglier.

7 Likes

Perhaps someone can help me here, I’m looking for a children’s book about climate change for my children. But I cannot for the life of me remember the title or author. The book was hardback, published in the early to mid 90’s in the UK and in comic form. The main character was a skinny person with a globe for a head and a green suit with a red cape. It would great if I could find a copy of this book.

2 Likes

Shockingly, Big Ag is gaming the system to promote “climate friendly” beef. Ain’t no such thing.

3 Likes

ah yes, it certainly is;

2 Likes

But, there is a little bit of good news

Not nearly enough, but progress.

7 Likes

actually and predictable it doesnt mean shit and its exactly what I meant with

those 30% are just on top of the “traditional” sources of energy for electricity, namely coal and gas while oil stays pretty much the same. the energy consumption rises and with it fossil fuels as usual.

1 Like

Gonna disagree. 30% does mean something, and we need to have some things to hang on to, to show progress. I’m not going to give up and die, so may as well continue to try to make the world better for my granddaughter. We continue to increase the alternative energy percentage, it absolutely changes the long-term outcome. We are in trouble short term (like over the next century) but I will not let that cause me to give up. Coal is phasing out, oil is decreasing. Gas is increasing, but not as fast as carbon-free sources. There is a long way to go, and energy production is not the be-all, end-all. But it is a big chunk, and progress is good. I understand it is not fast enough, but it stil is.

5 Likes

me neither, just tryin to be realistic here.

sorry, dont see that at all; yes, I read the statements from the G7 about “officially” “phasing out” coal by 2035 (I simply dont belive them anymore) and the first exceptions are already made (like germanys speciality to keep coal as long as possible because “reasons”, this time at least til 2037). so, no, I dont think meaningful cuts will be made, until the coming devestations will force the system and us to change our ways at the much needed most fundamental level.

1 Like

(I admit, I am looking at this from a US perspective, so that may explain our differing take)

5 Likes

and it doesnt matter to where a country is outsourcing its most energy-intensive industries, we as global comunity are still equally fucked. its state-approved greenwashing. germany is also quite good at this.

1 Like
5 Likes

Source

2 Likes