Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

…and while Murdoch’s Australian papers deny being climate change deniers, Murdoch Jr disagrees.

4 Likes

IIRC the Murdoch Junior who matters is Lachlan, who might as well be his father’s clone

6 Likes

MORE right wing? Other than marching around with swastika armbands, how is this possible?

5 Likes

My daughter said recently, “if the whole world is on fire, your money will burn…” (paraphrase).

10 Likes

“Germany’s biggest power producer, will cut about 6,000 jobs, or nearly a third of its current workforce, by 2030 as the country moves to phase-out brown coal as an energy source…”

3 Likes
6 Likes

Wtf?

20200116_222104

2 Likes
4 Likes

Pretty sure this was a fake. Extinction Rebellion put out a statement, which I cant seem to find now.

9 Likes

and @milliefink

They are fakes, either put up by denialists or eco-fascists. Either is plausible, eco-fascists aren’t shy about being white supremacist.

I think the eco-fascists are already upset that XR aren’t focusing on Malthusian population reduction, and have no intention on doing so.

9 Likes

“Unusual climate conditions are partly to blame.”

No shit, really?

7 Likes

See, this is how you know this shit is getting real. These guys are not looking at it from a “survival of human civilization” or “avoiding mass extinctions” front. No, they, like the military, are looking at this from a purely practical, how can I maximize ROI point of view. Eventually it will hit other areas. I bet you the Koch empire has its climate disaster plan well established, just not for public consumption.

4 Likes

Shameful but true: they’ll do it when it’s good for them, and not before.

Shameful, but as true of the rest of us as it is for them. We’re apparently all assuming we can keep doing what we’re doing, having what we’re having and living the way we’re living.

Which just makes it a problem for future generations.

Whose CO2 is it up there?

5 Likes

This assumes that their cooperation is desirable/necessary.

They’ve had thirty years to cooperate. Perhaps it’s time for a little compulsion?

5 Likes

I’m good with that. :grin:

My comment addressed when they would agree on their own. The answer is, when it’s already too late, which is where we are now. Not too late to do something about climate in an either-or sense, but too late to keep the world I grew up with and dearly loved. It was pretty great. Now it’s getting austere. It would be difficult to overstate how wrong this feels to me. But you probably have a sense of that yourself.

4 Likes

I hate to agree, but I do. We are way past prevention, into amelioration. Trying to make the new climate regime somewhat survivable for the majority of us. About the best we can do. But this we frickin’ can do, we just need to get on it.

4 Likes
9 Likes

Like a parasite, content to feed as long as the host would let them.

7 Likes

Scientists are also still poring over the results to look for methodological glitches or inconsistencies. “The jury is still out, but it is worrying,” said Rockstrom. “Climate sensitivity has been in the range of 1.5C to 4.5C for more than 30 years. If it is now moving to between 3C and 7C, that would be tremendously dangerous.”

1 Like

Under current political systems, “adaptation” is likely to manifest as “protect the rich while watching the poor die en masse”.

10 Likes