Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Won’t somebody think of the polluters??

6 Likes

“This has been the year of murder hornets, massive locust invasions on two continents, and a sudden start to Atlantic hurricane season, among other oddities (not to mention the deadly pandemic). So perhaps it shouldn’t be surprising that Lake Superior is set to see its first post-tropical cyclone ever recorded, and yet here we are.”

4 Likes

We had two simultaneous tornado warnings (with on-the-ground confirmed sighting) in the Chicago area yesterday. I don’t believe that has ever happened before, either. Didn’t even know it was a meteorological possibility.

7 Likes

Welcome to 2020, where any fucked up thing is possible… :expressionless:

5 Likes

Didnt know Tornados were possible near Chicago? Or that there were two?

1 Like

Two simultaneous ones in the same area, and near a major city no less (something about the buildings makes tornadoes less likely in urban areas).

Tornadoes never even used to get within 50 miles of the city when I was growing up.

2 Likes

Rare yes, but not unheard of. The Oak Lawn tornado in 1967 was a pretty famous one. It ended up crossing all the way to the lake at 79th street.

Then there was the one that killed around 8 people in Ottawa, IL. They had all taken shelter in the same building which collapsed.

Back in June of '08 there was a really bad outbreak across Monee and University Park in the south suburbs, not far from Yesterday’s tornados. I remember all the trucks flipped over on I-57, and the power pylons crumpled up like aluminum foil

4 Likes

But have you ever heard of TWO separate tornado fronts in the same area?

That just seems like a whole new level of weather to me.

4 Likes

Cant say that I have. Dont hope to again either.

1 Like

IANAM(eteorologist), but I have to wonder if it is a statistical thing. Most tornadoes are seen tearing up empty fields because for the most part that is what our country is made of. Especially in tornado alley. That is the root of the orange gibbon’s favorite map that shows all that red area on the map to prove how popular he is. The vast majority of it is pretty sparsely populated. Hitting a major population center happens, of course, but very rarely since they form semi-randomly across a truly huge area of the country, and major population centers are proportionately teensy tiny.

2 Likes

I’m not one either, but I’ve heard enough of them over the years explain that there are specific reasons why tornadoes break up as they come close to major cities.

And two at the same time? That’s freaky.

3 Likes

On Thursday, E&E News published a wild story of a bumbling PR campaign encouraging journalists to look into how environmental groups that have backed protests against police violence also support “policies which would hurt minority communities.” The campaign was started by a firm with deep ties to big oil and unintentionally implicated Chevron as the backer. The effort reveals that we’ve reached the throw-shit-at-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks phase of Big Oil’s demise.

1 Like
4 Likes
4 Likes

I have no clue how to even begin to evaluate the credibility of this guy, but if that dam goes, catastrophic is way too small a word for the results. And Beijing does have a rep for silencing the ones who see the train coming, rather than stepping off the tracks.

7 Likes

The report coming from Taiwan News does give me pause that it could have a slant. But yes - if that happens it’s a disaster on such a scale that I don’t want to consider it.

6 Likes
5 Likes

No, not really.

5 Likes
2 Likes

This is peak performative bullshit.

7 Likes