Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Christ… we’re all going to have to moved to Canada here in ye old western hemisphere, aren’t we?

1 Like

Maybe we can move to the Antartica, just like the characters of the book “The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch” by Philip K. Dick.

In this book, the global temperature has risen so much that people have started using portable air conditioners while walking on the streets and the very wealthy spend the summer at resorts on the south pole.

To deal with this problem, governments have instituted a kind of compulsory migration, people are drafted to live in a miserable colony on Mars.

3 Likes

That’s not a PKD I’ve read! Sounds interesting.

Seems like Ballard did some environmental collapse books, too… Yeah, his first four novels dealt with some sort of environmental catastrophe, the Wind from Nowhere:

The Drowned World:

The Burning World:

And then the Crystal World:

3 Likes

One of the things I like most about this community is that whenever I interact with people here, I learn something new. Thanks for the list of books.

2 Likes

If you like PKD, you’ll probably like Ballard. Same style of boomer paranoia, but from the UK instead of the US.

Me too! :grin:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Obama 2008:

Biden campaign, 2020:

Science:

There is no meaningful difference between outright climate denialism and “acknowledging” climate change while refusing to do anything effective to combat it.

Both are fatal, both are intolerable.

4 Likes

That cover illustration (and the story) is a favorite - used to have that same copy, (former library discard I think, long gone now) - definitely one of the more bonkers examples from PKD’s canon, hadn’t noticed till now how much it pre-dates (but certainly anticipates) the Valis works.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mat1ildathehun/status/1315091774625505281?s=21

3 Likes
4 Likes

8 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

7 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Sadly, not wrong. I think I have mentioned, when my brother worked at NRL, they did simulations indicating that the tipping point was reached in the mid-90’s. At this point it’s just amelioration and minimizing the rate of acceleration. Which we are sucking at, just BTW.

5 Likes