Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Ok, the whole smallpox thing caught my attention. That would be the ultimate “fuck you” from 2020 on it’s way out. Sure, let’s do that. Holy shit…

ETA: Before we get worked up, I am unable to find any data on viability of that particular virus under permafrost conditions over time. Not sure that is reassuring, given the known risk from thawed out anthrax spores, but smallpox is a virus, does not form spores, and hopefully does not survive freeze-thaw cycles well. It’s a hope, anyway.

6 Likes

It’s not like anything that is going to thaw out was in a vacuum pack, so my money is on freezer burn.
Still, this could get interesting.

2 Likes

And not at liquid nitrogen temps, so degradation should absolutely occur. But weird things happen.

3 Likes

Well, so much for that.
3 Likes
5 Likes

“ * In Philadelphia, Climate Central calculated that average winter temperatures have risen 4.8 degrees since 1970, and the season has 19 more days with above-normal temperatures.

• Atlantic City winters have warmed 4.3 degrees with 14 more days above normal.
  • Allentown has warmed 3.8 degrees with 14 more days above normal.”

“ Overall, average winter temperatures increased the most around the Great Lakes and Northeast region, as did the number of days with above-normal temperatures.”

“ Warmer winters might be enjoyable for some, but they can have serious consequences for industries such as agriculture.

“Fruit trees,” Sublette said, “need to be chilled cold for a good part of the winter so they get those cues to come out of dormancy and produce flowers and fruit. If that doesn’t happen they get all messed up.”

5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Poor girl. I hope it could help to change the atmosphere of the big cities.

2 Likes

https://www.cell.com/one-earth/fulltext/S2590-3322(20)30592-3

This looks like Onebox ain’t happening so here:

Twenty-first century sea-level rise could exceed IPCC projections for strong-warming futures

DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oneear.2020.11.002

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hydro, mostly.

7 Likes

interesting. article mentions the old hydro power plant (1895) then goes on about all the wind farms coming online. are they building more hydroelectric dams as well? 100 percent no-emission power generation is awesome, but if as you say it is mostly hydro, how does the impoundment effect the land and - importantly - the fisheries of those rivers and sea-going, migratory fish (like salmon, or similar fishery in Taz)?
honest question, asked in good faith. in no way do I advocate for carbon emitting fossil fuel power generation.

1 Like

Ironically, the focus of Tasmanian environmental activism in the 1980’s was based around stopping the government from putting hydro dams on every river in Tasmania [1].

Most notably, Lake Pedder (which was dammed):

And the Franklin River (which was saved after a long and brutal protest campaign):

Recent Tas power projects have been focused on wind; the only hydro sites that aren’t already dammed are in World Heritage wilderness areas.

[1] which was justified; Tas already had ample hydropower, and if the government of the time had had their way there wouldn’t be any wilderness left in Tasmania.

3 Likes
4 Likes