Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

And no chocolate oranges!

6 Likes

Well, the citrus i grow should be far enough away to avoid infection for the foreseeable future. So there is that, at least.

1 Like

Inshallah. Making sure your trees are off to a healthy, organic start can be a kind of insurance policy.

[shudder]
Truly a future not worth contemplating. I love those things.
And these:

2 Likes

According to a calculator produced by digital artist Memo Akten, the sale of 303 editions of Grimes’s Earth used the same electrical power as the average EU resident would in 33 years, and produced 70 tonnes of CO2 emissions.

Our stupidity is going to kill us off, by degrees. I say this as the aunt of a young man who I just heard is making money off BitCon BitCoin.

May there be mercy on our souls, somehow, somewhere.

4 Likes

New Invasive Mosquito Species Found In Florida Can Carry Yellow Fever : NPR

Just prepping for the next pandemic, I am guessing?

5 Likes

Heard that this morning… of course, if they’re in FL, it’s only a matter of time before they end up here…

pose-pray-greaaat

4 Likes

yeah. sorry 'bout that.
Aedes mozzies also carry dengue fever (along with their little carry-on bags for their flight to GA). there were around 100 cases of dengue in Key Largo last year.
the Keys are scheduled to release several billion Oxitec GMO sterilized male Aedes next month, but the loud and obnoxious anti-science crowd are pitching a fuss and may well succeed in obtaining an injunction to stop the release, saying that they “did not sign on to be part of Oxitec’s experiment and did not vote for it” (referendum passed with 56% in 2016). so more Aedes mozzies and no plan other than aerial bombardment with chemical larvicide that absolutely has been shown to kill bees and butterflies as well.
one more reason why we can’t have nice things in Florida-da.

2 Likes

Ugh, that suuuuuuccks… I’m sorry.

2 Likes

Yeah, that truly sucks. How the hell do they figure that this is better than the GMO mosquito is beyond me, other than “scary science bad” mentality. Jesus wept.

2 Likes

“I don’t want no FrankenSkeeters, no how! I’ll shoot them varmits right outta here, ya hear? now git on ya egg-haided science critter, afore I shoot yew tew!”

~actual FloridaMan. not Jefe.

3 Likes

To be fair, I think that’s panhandle floridaman…

2 Likes

thanks.
personally I identify as “Keybilly”, but out-of-state friends and family do think it’s great sport to call me “FloridaMan”, so it kinda stuck. :man_shrugging:
edit: and now, the weather!
(steering back to climate topic)

2 Likes

I grew up in South Florida and distinctly remember spending my elementary school mornings standing at the bus stop in the pre-dawn being soaked by the mosquito spray from low flying planes (DC-3’s I think). I’m frankly suprised I’m here today.

4 Likes
1 Like

Handles, Owen Jones. Gimme handles.

Sheesh I just typed “hangles” and somehow I like that even better than “handles.”

2 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Well, many of those of guys refused to go to training in the wind business when they had the opportunity. Let’s see what they do now. Perhaps they have seen through the trumpian bullshit and lies finally.

Still, this is huge.

4 Likes