Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

9 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

of course, there is no actual relationship between bitcoin market capitalization and emissions

it’s an energy-squandering competition, it uses all the power offered to it regardless of how many bitcoins there are or who owns them or what they’re worth

3 Likes
3 Likes

Oulu is about 100 miles from the arctic circle. AFAIK we didn’t have storms like that in the past.

4 Likes

Utilising electricity in energy systems could help achieve Finland’s ambitious climate goals and reduce carbon dioxide emissions by at least 95 percent by 2050, the Finnish Climate Change Panel has stated.

The fuck…

9 Likes

New site, using newish data.

Shanghai and surrounding towns look to be toast.

Venice is the epicenter (if such a term can be applied to flooding) in the Adriatic, but its been flooding for years now.

Netherlands will have a massive… situation… to deal with.
England will on a smaller scale.

Washington DC appears inexplicably to be ok.
U.S. Gulf Coast… not so much.

4 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how that could possibly make sense. 118 Kelvin maybe? Otherwise, yeah, that’s some next level terrifying.

2 Likes

To be honest, I would be kind of concerned if anywhere on earth hit 118 K too, albeit for very different reasons. Well, maybe not very different…the opposite direction. Either would say temperatures are badly off from what they should be.

(The world’s lowest recorded temperature was 145 K. The highest record temperature north of the Arctic circle was about 100 F, but then that was from last year.)

4 Likes

that is a cool map, thanks!
according to the data, my island home is still out of the water by 2050, but the beach will be much closer! (and future, more powerful hurricanes may have blown us into the ocean by then).
of course that is no cause for celebration, nor does this mean that we can go on about our carbon-intense ways of power generation and mobility.

3 Likes

It’s entirely possible it’s not correct. I have not looked into this deeper than this article, so… but here is their source…

https://www.copernicus.eu/en/media/image-day-gallery/land-surface-temperature-sakha-republic

And here is what they mean by “land surface temperature”:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/global-maps/MOD_LSTD_M

So, it seems like it’s sort of like when we talk about something like the heat index, which is not the actual temperature, but what the temperature feels like… In this case, it seems like this is what satellites are reading the ground could feel like when touched temperature wise, rather than the actual temperature.

4 Likes

Yeah, reading the article, it seems air temp was 90 F, still way warm for arctic regions.

3 Likes

The Arctic is warming at three times the global planet rate, thawing permafrost, the ground that had remained frozen for centuries, and gravely damaging sea species and other fauna and the livelihood of legions of Indigenous groups.

(emphasis mine)

William Gibson was sure right about a lot of things, including when he said
“The future is already here — it’s just not very evenly distributed.”

And it appears that indigenous folks, and people whose lifestyles are least likely to have the supersized carbon footprints of us [comparatively] wealthy gringos, are taking the brunt of it.

I just can’t quite fully believe that all Russians are doing happy backflips though… no matter what it says here…

Russia is also set to benefit from climate change, with a decline in the summer ice cover of Russia’s Arctic maritime shipping route, called the northern sea route, allowing for longer transit periods.

… because with the heat comes massive disruptions to their infrastructure (roads and pipelines on permafrost, erosion, internally displaced people, etc.). Maybe I’m not seeing the full picture but in systems thinking, massive disruption isn’t just costly, it’s utterly unpredictable. I see these volatile interdependencies especially in their petroleum-dominant energy economy as something Putin simply cannot plan for. He’s 69 though. Maybe he doesn’t think he’ll still be alive when the real crapski hits the fanski.

ETA:

Nice catch and well done!

6 Likes

I live in Helsinki about 440 miles south from the arctic circle. Air temp has been around 86°F for week now. It’s cooling down and we might have some rain before Midsummer so we might get a bonfire.

2 Likes

Venice has been cheating submersion a lot longer than human influenced climate change has been an issue…

What is more interesting is the pianura padana (gonna miss the prosciutto), and how little will be changed in Croatia…

My house will still be above water, assuming the chalk cliffs don’t erode at a few feet a year :expressionless:

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes