Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Seems stable. /s

3 Likes
6 Likes

Of course that doesn’t reduce the, uh, “usefulness” of Bitcoin—the system just poses easier made-up puzzles to the remaining “miners” in order to process the same transactions

Crypto eats all the power we give it, but it’s not accomplishing more things, it’s just throwing the extra energy away

6 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes

If you only pay attention to this:

The number of days between zero and two degrees of temperature has increased by more than 100. While there were only 77 such days suitable for making snowballs in 1961-90, there were 182 in the next 30-year period.

without paying attention to this:

The number of days remaining above zero has increased dramatically.

then you could use the same data to claim that the temperature change is going the other way. FOX News is hiring!

1 Like

Am I missing something? Snow needs to be “warm” for snowballs.

1 Like

If it’s too cold the snow won’t compact into a snowball. Air temperatures a little above freezing are ideal for snowballs, as the snow will melt a little while being compacted, then quickly refreeze to hold a shape.

ETA: typo correction

4 Likes
6 Likes

god damn it eric cartman GIF by South Park

7 Likes
3 Likes

I… I just… what the fuck do you even do?

Lately I’ve been thinking of just going full Ernest Callenbach and dream of having Ecotopia. I don’t know what else I can do.

1 Like
6 Likes

Mr. Fink, please meet Mr. Koch.

All y’all money people, go sort yourselves out while we get on with just trying to stay alive. Maybe you’ll come to the conclusion “what good is money if you ain’t got a habitable planet to live on and spend it” but if past is prologue, it sure doesn’t seem likely to be your top priority.

“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.”

Cree
Néhinaw ᓀᐦᐃᓇᐤ
Néhiyaw ᓀᐦᐃᔭᐤ
saying

5 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

I dunno… sci-fi writers have been warning us of all kinds of shit with regards to the future, and we keep doing exactly the exact thing that they warn about… “unfettered corporations are bad”… let’s deregulate corporations! “corporations controlling space travel and exploiting resources in space seems like a bad idea…” Let’s let billionaires build rockets for space travel!

We keep thinking warnings are blueprints…

11 Likes
5 Likes