Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Unfortunately, that’s going to be a common story this year. With the huge spike in the price of gas, existing coal thermal generation is going to look like the cheapest option in many places, as the impact of burning carbon isn’t priced into the cost of fossil fuels yet.

6 Likes

Yeah, my gas bill was insane this past month. Maybe Manchin can drop ship to me a few lumps of his WVa gravy train rock. /s

2 Likes

In other news, Texas calls breathing “often unnecessary” in economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities.

10 Likes

(It needs a better ice maker! /h)

7 Likes
2 Likes

I wonder what kind of subscription fee we’ll have to pay Mr. Burns for this service.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Eternal darkness, hmmm? OK, I mean, what could go wrong?

6 Likes

As @Mindysan33 stated several times, some people think sci fi dystopias are blueprints for the future.

6 Likes

It’s funny how people tend to ignore that…

6 Likes
5 Likes

@BakaNeko re. Snowpiercer…

I realize it’s all a narrative device around which to build a class-struggle story with the weird constraint that the dystopian setting is actually linear and shaped like a test tube. However, I’ve never been able to get past the reality of rail track maintenance to a point where I could even start to enjoy that show.

If a :beaver: can take out a train, then the apocalypse, in any scenario, does as well. :thinking:

4 Likes

A little update to the climate crisis story. There’s a good case to be made that the situation is about twice as bad as previously thought.

From 1980 to 2019, the world warmed about 1.42 degrees (0.79 degrees Celsius). But taking energy from humidity into account, the world has warmed and moistened 2.66 degrees (1.48 degrees Celsius), the study said. And in the tropics, the warming was as much as 7.2 degrees (4 degrees Celsius).

And the actual science:
https://www.pnas.org/content/119/6/e2117832119

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pandemic doom scrolling…

6 Likes
2 Likes

So far, public transportation allies lean into the climate change aspect when they promote public transit over individual drivers in cars, but safety should be stressed as well:

8 Likes

“If you’re in a place like Houston, where to get to transit you’ve got to cross a four-lane arterial with deficient sidewalks, that’s risky,”

That’s my problem. I used to be able to walk along back streets and cross to my train station on a bridge. When the city expanded the parking at the train station they removed the pedestrian access from my neighbourhood and the bridge. Not long after that, a person was killed crossing the road to the station and the situation has gotten much more dangerous for pedestrians, both around the station and within the parking lot area.

6 Likes

A canary in a coal mine for the East Coast.

8 Likes

Good thing the whole “climate hoax” is gonna be exposed any day now a liberal conspiracy. Yeppers, any day now.

3 Likes

I wonder if Ben Shapiro would be interested in purchasing that property?

6 Likes