Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

6 Likes

I have heard this sort of thing like “eco-fascists” before, but never seen the ties between racism, xenophobia and environmentalism broken down quite like this. It makes me very sad.

5 Likes

Derp Green Resistance has been promoting transphobia for a long, long time.

I’m tired of being the canary in the coal mine.

8 Likes

The “deep” environmentalists have always been a profoundly anti-human ideology that is a door to genocidal thinking. Because if you’re going to remove industrial society, then billions will die, and they always have a particular view of which people are supposed to remain afterwards.

@KathyPartdeux - oh, and what a surprise, they fit anti-Semitism in alongside the transphobia, and the hateful primitivism.

7 Likes

You would think they’d be promoting groups of humans who are less likely to to reproduce.

7 Likes

More than 80 people have been arrested in Essex as climate change protesters continued to block oil terminals.

Activists from Just Stop Oil said on Saturday they had blocked access to the Titan Truck Park.

They also claim to have created a secret underground network of tunnels at the Navigator and Grays oil terminals.

The protesters are demanding that the UK Government stops new oil and gas projects.

It comes after activists from Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion obstructed 10 fuel sites in the Midlands and southern England in the early hours of Friday, to stand against “expanding UK oil and gas production”.

Protesters were glued on to roads, suspended on bamboo tripods, and locked on to oil drums and each other from around 4am.

1 Like

Biden needs to and can accelerate this process by selling more offshore leases. He made a good start off NY/NJ recently. Expand that quickly.

8 Likes
7 Likes

I think i have told this story before, so fast forward if you’ve heard it. My brother worked for the Naval Reasearch Lab back in the '90s. They had determined to a high degree of confidence that, at that point in time, the critical tipping point for climate disaster was already past. The only future determinant was the degree of that disaster, and the timing. He quit, moved to upstate NY and devoted himself to being in a position to protect his family. They live in a very nice home, off grid, in a forest. He still teaches and writes, but like me, he decided to try the “get small and plant a big garden” strategy. His book turning into a maybe-big-deal movie may spike the “get small” part, but we shall see.

9 Likes

And, how about some good projections for a change? I needed this. The lines about “weaponizing hopelessness” really hit home!

3 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes

Fuck, they’re not even trying to cover it up with specious legalistic rationalization anymore. What are we going to do about these people?

6 Likes

pack packing GIF
Climate Change Sustainability GIF by Creative Courage

8 Likes

Elokapina = Extinction Rebellion

4 Likes
2 Likes
8 Likes

Some discussion of the infrastructure that needs to be developed to support large scale offshore wind farms. Ships large enough to handle the construction of larger turbines- port facilities.

5 Likes

Climate model code is so outdated, MIT starts from scratch

When faced with climate models coded in Fortran in the 1960s and 70s, MIT decided there wasn’t any more cobbling together left for the ancient code, so they decided to toss it out and start fresh.

It’s an ambitious project for MIT professors Raffaele Ferrari and Noelle Eckley Selin, who submitted their Bringing Computation to the Climate Challenge proposal as part of MIT’s Climate Grand Challenges (CGC). Out of 100 submissions, MIT picked five projects to fund and support, one of which is Ferrari and Selin’s.

[…]

Interesting stuff in the comments.

5 Likes

Ugh… I don’t care if the code was on sun-baked clay tablets… if it still compiles, and it probably does, get a pro in to pull into Fortran 2008, clean up the structure and drive on from there. :slightly_frowning_face:

Consider the coding koan: “You must know how to code a binary search. You must never code a binary search.”

2 Likes