Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Once again, the capitalistic needs of a corporation cause higher expenses to actual human beings, with no consequence.

8 Likes

It’s a tricky one in B.C. where tree-cutting, with its very low “barrier to entry”, is an important livelihood. A lot of folks there would not necessarily see the fire danger as overriding their work opportunities. Especially so when there is so much invested in fire suppression.

This, of course, is a hard risk assessment to do personally, which in turn makes it hard to sell politically.

5 Likes

I have been through BC when multiple towns were shrouded in smoke so thick, it wasn’t safe to go outside without a mask. The smoke also travels very far outside the province and chokes other cities.

Screen-Shot-2018-08-20-at-4.19.07-PM

That danger obviously hurts more people than benefit from the job opportunities, so a lot of folks would just be refraining from connecting the dots, as per the famous Upton Sinclair quote.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Surprised Cat GIF

7 Likes

I think that’s what’s in my fire emergency escape hood to absorb carbon monoxide.

8 Likes

Many large corporations are taking measures to reduce their carbon footprints, but a new report claims that for some, the greatest source of emissions is actually from investments being made with their wealth, and this is undermining their own environmental efforts.

The Carbon Bankroll report highlights the documented carbon dioxide emissions of a number of large corporations and contrasts these with pollutants being generated as a result of the cash and investments held by those companies, comprising cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities.

In some instances, this figure is greater than the emissions generated by their own business, demonstrating, in the words of the report, that “climate accomplishments are being undermined by a misaligned financial system that is channeling hundreds of billions of corporate US dollars into the carbon-intensive sectors driving the climate crisis.”

[…]

The problem, according to the report, is that many banks around the globe are still major suppliers of capital to carbon-intensive sectors as well as fossil fuel industries by providing loans and underwriting and issuing bonds to maintain the flow of funds into these sectors.

To illustrate this, the report states that the largest US banks and asset managers were responsible for finance that drove the equivalent of 1.968 billion tons of CO2 in 2020, which, according to the report, would make the US financial sector the world’s fifth-largest emitter if it were a country.

[…]

3 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Pols are attacking green investment to make sure that industry is supported, too:

6 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

:thinking: I miss the good, solid couple of February weeks at -30°C that we used to get. “Kill everything that ain’t ready for it” cold, including ticks and o’possums, that put a good 4 feet of ice on the rivers, froze flat spots into your car tires and made the snow super squeaky.

(For reference for our southern friends, “cold” starts at -10°C. You might be excused for using the word when it’s too chilly to get the propane for the BBQ to flow…) :grin:

4 Likes

This is really and truly no longer “This is going to be bad.” This is already bad and rapidly getting worse. I have pointed out previously, and will again, that every climate change prediction so far has been overly optimistic as to the rate and severity of global heating. Large chunks of the planet are verging on uninhabitable. Mass migrations are coming on rapidly. But in many places in the States, we cannot discuss climate change because “it is too political.” Meanwhile, tropical diseases are popping up on our doorsteps, houses are falling into the sea and sunny day flooding has become commonplace. I just don’t know…

9 Likes
11 Likes
7 Likes

yee-fucking-hah! strap in,
florida-da!
always a scary season and the mum and i both know what it feels like, but shit y’all, call us stupid, call us foolish… we didn’t run from Irma in '17 and it was brutal on this island.
not ever leaving this place, no.

5 Likes

Take cover in the parking garage?

4 Likes

right!
of course our parking garage is (or would be) 20ft below sea level, so with our scuba gear we can just ride it out.

hurricane season alaways lets me know that i am alive…
and very well could not be.

rather this than any goddamn tornado bullshit (or wildfire). at least i can see this coming.

ETA: this is in no way a shrugging off of my responsibility to mitigate climate change everywhere i can.

7 Likes