Floppy Tube quickly pops skin off garlic

I’ll wait for Flappy Tube.

I just can’t get enough of them. I have 20 or so. (not) Buy one every time I feel a little depressed. (not)

Palms used as adequate substitute for floppy tube

6 Likes

I dunno, it seems like another gadget in the long series of gadgets for “Food that is Hard to Eat”, like the banana slicer and strawberry corer. Just use two bowls! Or your hands. I can see the Amazon reviews now: “Sure, it works when the hard bit at the bottom of the clove is at the bottom, but what if it’s on the top? Do you have an inverted garlic peeler? Huh?”

if you’re like me and prefer to smash your garlic through a press (break all those cell walls and gets all the garlic juice reacting doncha know) then you need a solid garlic press anyhow. once you’ve got one that’s worth a damn, I’ve found that you can forgo peeling the cloves and the pressed garlic just squirts out like normal, leaving the skin(s) smashed against the bottom, which pops out fairly easily with a fingernail. Mom taught me the knife-flat smash thing, which is also great for when you’re mincing. My chef friend says you’re supposed to smash garlic in some fashion anyhow, due to the aforementioned food chemistry.

but if I ever need to peel in quantity, I look forward to using the bowl/jar trick! I just knew if I read this thread that Happy Mutants would have good advice, which is important when it comes to life’s finer things, ya heard?

So does the flat of a chef’s knife. Whap! and you’re done.

BTW, Paul’s Law of Garlic: If it says two, it meant three.

Corollary: Always round up.

2 Likes

I am getting a kick out of the capitalisation of Floppy Tube in the title.

It is my favourite thing this week.

Hee hee. Floppy tube.

I saw Stephen Fry use a small cutting of regular garden hose for the same purpose on a gadget program. I expect you could half inch a couple of inches of hose and feast on the garlic with all the extra seconds to enjoy it without getting your wallet out.

Personally I don’t mind using a knife for that task but I’m keen to try the bowl method.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.