Florida 3-year-old dies after finding loaded gun in home and shooting himself

Solution is simple: instead of vaccines, newborns should be getting mandatory gun safety training before they are discharged from the maternity ward.

7 Likes

I mean, I may be a naive Brit, but I think I know what’s safer and cheaper than trigger locks and gun safes…
Not buying guns in the first place.

23 Likes

Many Americans think that getting rid of guns is impossible and the only solution to the threat posed by guns is to have your own gun. It’s like drivers who see the roads filling up with huge SUVs that would crush their cars in a collision and decide to buy SUVs themselves to stay “safe”. They become part of the problem that they think they are solving.

17 Likes

They are very easy to find with a simple search. This is not a secret. It may be uncomfortable to admit, but guns are a plague. The GOP successfully prevented the CDC from tracking gun related violence for years because of how bad it looks

Guns kept in homes are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal accidental shooting, criminal assault, or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.

There were a total of 45,222 firearm deaths in the US in 2020
Unintentional gun death occurs four times more often in the United States than other high-income countries.
Gun violence in the United States results in tens of thousands of deaths and injuries annually,[4] and was the leading cause of death for children 19 and younger in 2020 . . . The rate of firearm deaths per 100,000 people rose from 10.3 per 100,000 in 1999 to 12 per 100,000 in 2017, with 109 people dying per day or about 14,542 homicides in total

IWikipedia: Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia
Here are some reports by the CDC: https://health.ucdavis.edu/what-you-can-do/resources/FirearmInjurySlides_WYCD_June20.pdf
“10 Leading Causes of Injury Deaths by Age Group Highlighting Violence-Related Injury Deaths, United States – 2018”

And more

24 Likes

The press conference was disgusting. It took Sheriff Mike Chitwood all of 4 minutes to express his "biggest concern out of all of this is for the mental and physical health of my “deputies and dispatchers.” Get fuqed.

1. "under Florida law, following the accidental shooting of a child, “no arrest shall be made prior to seven days after the date of the shooting.”
  2. improper storage of a gun is a second-degree misdemeanor
  3. the state attorney will decide about charges
  4. “I cannot imagine there’s anything in the law books that can punish that family more than what happened last night" [OK, BUT WE COULD MAYBE TRY SOMETHING?? -ed]

edit: I’m still watching the press conference and he just keeps reinforcing this and bragging about how when HE was a kid he knew how to safely play with his father’s guns, etc. What a prick.

25 Likes

Reality has no impact on the initiates. It’s like trying to convince William Morris that arsenic was poisoning people.

15 Likes

Many moons ago we were living in Detroit, my wife was pregnant and had to be home alone at times. We talked about a gun for protection.

We went to a gun store and the nice lady showed us some handguns. I asked something about just shooting to injure, she explained unless you’re willing to pull the trigger and kill someone you shouldn’t own a gun.

We also learned about the fact that if the intruder didn’t have a gun they would if you weren’t willing to use it on them.

Neither one of was ready to kill someone so that was the last time we considered a gun. That was 38 years ago.

15 Likes

Still, with the permission of @euansmith and @kii, I’m going to add their contributions (with credit) to the reference topic. In the future we can just point ammosexuals who (in some cases repeatedly) pretend that there aren’t stats on the relative deadliness of the weapons over there.

13 Likes

Go for it. Though that was a less than 5 min search. The stats are that well documented. It took me longer to copy/paste into to the post

14 Likes

They’re well-documented and quickly found if one wants to look for them. For others, it’s easier to feign ignorance of their existence even after having them presented numerous times over the course of years.

As with other fallacious arguments by gun strokers, that’s another tactic that will be pre-bunked here.

ETA: Speaking of which, more stats that ammosexuals would prefer to pretend don’t exist…

13 Likes

Under Florida law, following the accidental shooting of a child, the perpetrator has seven days to put themselves beyond the reach of Florida law.

14 Likes

No gun safe, didn’t use a gun lock - and left a loaded weapon laying around- all near kids.

The father should be charged with a homicide.

28 Likes

Yes, that’s occurred to me too when i meet people who defend their having guns for “safety,” “home security,” etc.

Oh I see, you’re one of those people who’s willing to kill another person.

Never mind their answer to that of something like Well, it’s kill or be killed!

No dude, there are other ways to keep yourself and you family safe that don’t involve killing someone.

16 Likes

When a families safety isn’t worth $6; that’s so sad :cry:

8 Likes

Thanks for the link.

I agree with the statement: “Guns kept in homes are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal accidental shooting, criminal assault, or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.”

However the reason I asked for a link is because you said:

The statistics on how many times a homeowner’s gun is taken away from them and used against them during a home invasion is ghastly.

Which doesn’t appear to be supported by either link you posted. But if there was data about someone’s own gun being used against themselves, that is statistics I haven’t seen before and would like to.

And your links supported my assertion that accidental deaths account for far less gun deaths than suicides, which from your post made it sound like the opposite was true. Though, as I said, you could have meant one scenario was “worse/more tragic”, but that was the reason for my clarification.

Are you aware of the fact that many Americans, including many of the posters here, have PTSD because of various gun-related incidents they’ve experienced directly or through graphic retelling?

Nit-picking the details about which violent ways guns are used to harm people, and in what percentages, is like rubbing salt in everyone’s wounds. We all have learned that the right to kill other Americans is so sacrosanct that it supersedes the right to life. You’re on the winning side…so why add to the pain others feel by meticulously arguing detail after detail to excuse yet another lethal use of phallic weaponry? Just take the win.

17 Likes

I’m sorry anyone has PTSD from tragic experiences, here or otherwise.

However, I am nor the one who posted a blog post and created a comment page about said blog post. So respectfully, I will comment on said comment page, just like every other user is free to do (or not).

I’m not trying to nit pick not trying to rub salt in anyone’s wounds. I avoid demeaning or insulting language like “gun grabbers”. I didn’t accuse or berate anyone or scoff about how easy information is to “find with a simple search”.

Someone else brought up the various ways guns are “used to harm people.” One of their statements I haven’t seen data on before, so I asked for a link.

And then the other two statements were made which gave the impression that gun accidental deaths - the subject of this blog post - was way more common than it is. So i just made a quick note to make sure everyone is on the same page, complete with CDC 2021 stats. Not to rub salt in wounds - but to be accurate. (Including saying that maybe they didn’t mean literal worse numbers, because I’m not trying to be abrasive.)

And if my two percentages is rubbing salt in wounds, what is the 10 links full of statistics now being archived elsewhere on BB?

I’m not arguing details, making excuses, or even defending the use of pHaLLiC weaponry in this thread. Nor do I feel like I have “won” anything.

1 Like

Why do I suspect that the father is a lying piece of LEO shit?

6 Likes

That’s actually a great analogy.

8 Likes

Another great one?

18 Likes