Florida congressional candidate threatens cop pulling him over—"you know who I am, right?"—and gets in a jab about her ethnicity

The party of “Blue Lives Matter!” and “Back the Blue!” to be sure.

6 Likes

Why do you bother identifying these bloated toads as republican when every breath of their response and demeanor clearly defines them for what they are, repulsive old, white males who errantly believe themselves to be a superior being?

2 Likes

“You know who I am, right?”

Ben Affleck Reaction GIF by Amazon Prime Video

9 Likes

Does it even matter? One can be racist and wrong at the same time. (In fact, one always is, but you know what I mean here)

1 Like

[ raises hand ] I know who he is: an arrogant entitled idiot. Props to the officer for following through on her duties.

4 Likes

Weird that it’s illegal to bribe a cop but you can threaten their livelihood and citizenship.

Tip of the cap to Officer Beskin.

11 Likes

Besides, it’s always kinda satisfying when the politician’s party isn’t identified and then you read the article and have your worst assumptions confirmed!

2 Likes

Hopefully they turn out to be decisions with regards to his career, and not hers.

Coulda sworn he said Marlon Brando, which would’ve been quite the power move were he still alive.

2 Likes

Is it me or do both of them sound vaguely Australian?

1 Like

They pose. It’s what politicians do, and especially when it comes to religion. Safer to prop oneself up as being god-fearing. Just check out this 2020 Pew Research Poll of Congress’ percentage of unaffiliated (atheist; agnostic; no particular faith) members (0.2%) versus the 26% of the US population:

And per America.org, a 2021 poll shows that the US unaffiliated percentage has gone up to 29%

4 Likes

3 Likes

But how many times?

7 Likes

What a douchenozzle. Hats off the the professional response of officer Beskin in this case. I would have been tempted to be more snarky.
“Do you know who I am?”
“When you provide me with your license and registration, I will.”
“I’m a law abiding citizen.”
“That is, in fact, what is being disputed RIGHT NOW. These tickets list the laws that you are alleged to have broken. You are free to look them up.”

–When he tries to give her the registration
“You see that, waay off in the distance? You can’t? Well that was your chance to avoid a ticket for failing to provide your registration.”*

*In reality, the requirement to give them your registration paperwork is pretty stupid in this day and age. The police generally have your license plate and the registration information pulled up before they walk up to your window. Failure to have that paperwork to hand is just an opportunity to gig you with another ticket.

2 Likes

And any open warrants, your arrest record and whether you are a registered sex offender. They know everything about you, including whether your vehicle has current insurance.

The demands for paperwork are about controlling the encounter and having the opportunity to look into your car.

5 Likes

That assumes that the registered owner is the driver. It’s pretty much a necessity to see your license to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that the owner is the driver. If you borrow a car you are actually supposed to have written permission from the owner. Because if the address on you license does not match the one on the registration, the popo are generally going to assume that it is stolen.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Driver’s license I will give you. In the meantime you do get to be treated as they would the registered owner. Hopefully s/he is not anyone they would care to hassle. Though, it could be that you were stopped because when they auto-ran the plate (which many jurisdictions do now, cameras watching ahead and behind) something came up that made them feel like it.

1 Like

The driver is not necessarily the registered owner, so I can see the use of asking for ID.

According to his campaign website, Hyde was a former professional soccer player in the UK

Well, that explains a lot

3 Likes

“This is not a game of ‘Who the fuck are you’”?

2 Likes