Florida congressional candidate threatens cop pulling him over—"you know who I am, right?"—and gets in a jab about her ethnicity

Originally published at: Florida congressional candidate threatens cop pulling him over—"you know who I am, right?"—and gets in a jab about her ethnicity | Boing Boing

13 Likes

“No, mom! I will NOT take out the trash! If you try to make me I will call Rex Troche!”

Yes, there is a history here. Checks out

34 Likes

Three guesses who this jerk voted for in 2020…

34 Likes

“Do you know who I am?”: a phrase that, one way or another, will never end well for the person saying it.

48 Likes

I love every piece of video evidence that proves how “pro-police” and “Back the Blue” some of these pols are in real life…

54 Likes

Typical non-apology, which is okay because it’ll be non-believed anyway.

26 Likes

What, no nightstick?

14 Likes

“that’s simply a phrase he says in moments of conflict.”

Oh, so he does it habitually. Yeah, that’s not a defense, that’s actually worse.

The Wilhoit quote about conservatism comes to mind: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect… For them, the entire purpose of the police is as a tool for enforcing that (which in practice is mostly true), and if the cops are anomalously not doing that, then they’re not “real cops.” They’re not doing the thing that cops exist to do, they’re “bad cops” and thus worthy of scorn and attack, not support.

28 Likes

“he never intended to literally call the chief of police, and said that’s simply a phrase he says in moments of conflict.”

That is not the strong defense of his character he thinks it is.

25 Likes

If you’re really that big a deal then you don’t have to tell anyone

11 Likes

If he gets elected, that amount of power will satisfy him and he will no longer abuse his position of power. /s

13 Likes

He apologized once the footage started making him famous, and said “he never intended to literally call the chief of police, and said that’s simply a phrase he says in moments of conflict.”

Imagine being so privileged, entitled and sheltered from reality that you somehow think this is a defense rather than confirming what a douchebag you are.

24 Likes
  • amnesiac’s excepted
6 Likes

“May Jove’s lightning strike you down where you stand and may your remains be eaten by bears!” is the phrase I say in moments of conflict, but I don’t know the police chief.

28 Likes

Taking the jab at the cop’s background/accent just shows how absolutely stupid he is. Yes, somebody who was probably born and spent formative years in eastern europe, I’m sure they love it when politicians try to use influence or power to avoid accountability. Big fan, that’s probably why they came here.

16 Likes

How did he know to question her “Russian” status? From her inflection, I would have assumed “American urban Northeastern”. And however does he know her immigration status? (I didnt even hear this particular statement, the wind interference being so loud.)

EDIT:
The “immigrant” comment comes in the second video, after she has processed the tickets and handing over the paperwork to him. He knows she’s an “immigrant” apparently from phoning her supervisor in the interim.

The audio is much clearer in this one— and there is much irony in a man with a bloody thick British accent trying to cast shadow on the police officer’s “American”-ness.

Hyde also apparently has friends in low places:

4 Likes

It’s too bad she didn’t immediately radio the dispatcher and say, “I’ve got an uncooperative driver here who doesn’t know who he is.”

22 Likes

I’m picking up a distinctly non-Floridian accent here… even over the wind noise. Checked out an interview clip with him, I’d say Australian (at first I was thinking East End London gangster wannabee…)

Maybe he’s good mates with Scotty from Marketing?

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

Nothing to see here. Just another entitled white man who thinks he’s above the law.

Fuck 'em!

5 Likes

“With ONE phone call… I have the power…”

Ok dipshit, if you have all this power then why aren’t you currently a Congressman? If your cell has no service, how do you flex this power? Today, does that cop still have their job?

Perhaps he woke up that morning, looked in the mirror and said “You fucking amazing White man… oh yeahhhh…”

3 Likes