Top Florida Cop instructed officer to act like a "white supremacist" when engaging Black suspect

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/13/top-florida-cop-instructed-off.html

4 Likes

Dear officer. You are not supposed to say that in your out loud voice. Also thanks for doing so and good riddance to you.

30 Likes

If she loses her job, I’m sure the white house can find a position for her.

14 Likes

d340db8be957631cbb238fb4e4e10155

7 Likes

“We have a zero-tolerance policy for people acting like white supremacists and neo-Nazis,” a sheriff’s spokesman said. “In our department, all officers must be white supremacists and neo-Nazis. You can’t just act like one.”

32 Likes

I wonder what Barr would have to say now about respecting cops who are instructed to not respect black suspects.

7 Likes

Something about gratitude to our betters and knowing our place or else.

6 Likes

But she’s not young and hot.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure black people have been trying for decades to explain this to white people. We’re slowly getting the message of how different of an experience a black person has with the police than a white person.

13 Likes

Is that Trump’s hand feeding Jesus? It’s so tiny.

4 Likes

They can expect to pay out tens of millions in lawsuits when others who have made complaints or wanted to now come forward since there’s now more evidence besides themselves.

5 Likes

Trying to intimidate suspects into confessions is hardly new for cops. If they can’t figure it out themselves, lots of TV-series make it clear that this is how you are supposed to behave. (On TV cops somehow already know exactly who is guilty and innocent people never confess) Pretending to be a white supremacist may be a bit unusual, but then as pointed out, many of them may not even have to pretend.

4 Likes

Ahhh, Florida. You truly are the halfwit step cousin of the states —soused on swamp vodka, shouting out the quiet parts, and lighting your farts at the dinner table. Would that you might wither from citrus greening disease and fall away into the anoxic waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

5 Likes

Fake it till you make it?

1 Like

Can anyone explain to me the difference between acting like a white supremacist and being a white supremacist?

Cause it seems like the same thing to me.

10 Likes

If you read the article it makes somewhat more sense:

“Detroit” was a man suspected of murder and it does make some sense trying to pick him up while letting him think he can talk his way out if the situation.

5 Likes

floridabb

Also, we up here in GA are gonna keep all that Apalachicola water now…

5 Likes

So being a white supremacist cop is ok, but being open about how common that is gets you fired. Thats about normal for police.

She was telling an officer to be “the white supremacist cop” so that the suspect wouldn’t catch on they were investigating him for murder on the assumption that any black man harrassed by a white supremacist cop would shrug and just think “same shit different day”. If the cop was proffesional and not racist, though, then the suspect would wonder whats going on. She didn’t get in trouble for encouraging racism (that probably got her promoted), it was for acknowledging how rampant the racism of police is.

8 Likes

Actual actors playing white supremacists in movies or plays or TV shows about white supremacy get a provisional pass. Law enforcement officers going undercover to take down white supremacist organizations a-la “BlacKkKlansman” get a provisional pass.

Acting like a white supremacist in any other context brings to mind the old Vonnegut quote: “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

8 Likes

I think we can also grant a pass to undercover civil rights advocates when they infiltrate the klan in order to expose their secrets and (among other things) make them look bad on a nationally syndicated children’s radio program.

5 Likes