Florida couple busted in Hawaii with fake vaccine cards

Tbf, we have several countries with real-life protofascist governments at the helm (with not a lot of the proto part left) and even they managed to be a part of this.

5 Likes

True, but somehow they still seem more rational and grounded in objective reality than the GQP.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: How Many People Actually Voted for Biff?

Or a view of the quarantine facility where everybody’s pet has to wait out the rabies incubation period.

2 Likes

What do you think an appropriate penalty for falsifying a vaccine card should be?

Not well for air travel on privately owned airlines.

7 Likes

So right now, at least California, New York and the EU all have QR code-based vaccine verification. However, none of them are compatible with each other! I understand this is a case if multiple bureaucracies not trusting each other but can’t we all get on one system?

5 Likes

Forgery laws already exist.

14 Likes

way to use your vacation to own the libs

6 Likes

For this type of crime, I think the effected state should also be able to ban the criminals from ever entering their state again.

10 Likes

Cut to scene showing the toddlers suckin’ on huge lit stogies.

6 Likes

Internet ate my reply the first time. There are cases where things just get fouled up. However most are like this Florida couple where they really throw out any respect for the health of others

3 Likes

I’ve flown internationally on an expired passport a couple of times. Once unknowingly and once knowingly taking the chance because I didn’t have time correct it. First time, the customs officer hassled me about it and told me to fix it, but let me through, and second time they didn’t notice or didn’t say anything. I wouldn’t recommend anyone try that, but in a pinch, it can work. The officers seems to have a lot of discretion on this kind of stuff.

8 Likes

Our law on this allows up to $5000 and a year in jail for each violation. This couple is getting off lightly.

Unfortunately, as the number of travelers into the state has skyrocketed, enforcement of the travel restrictions has become softer. There was a gauntlet in place at Honolulu airport a year ago, now it is a little like the “nothing to declare” customs line at most airports.

5 Likes

Just talked to my boss after her family vacay in Greece. They all got there, but the restaurants wouldn’t let them in bc QR codes didn’t work (they’re all vaccinated).

3 Likes

For avoidance of doubt - given the nature of the discussion here, Discussing national ID systems and how they work seems on-topic, especially if people are taking to forging them already, and states are fining folks who do so.

7 Likes

My girlfriend left her wallet in a friend’s vehicle earlier this year - she was going to fly from SF to LA while the friend drove. We realized this when the friend was in about Kettlemen City. She did an ID verification and was let onto the plane - and she reported it really wasn’t a lot of hassle. (She was super nervous about it until she asked at the counter however.)

2 Likes

You guys have a lot tighter of a federalized government with regards to the EU than we have with the states. what’s being described may actually not even be legal in a number of blue states due to overzealous privacy protection laws. And it might not be legal in a number of red states because vaccine passports and companies that do business with them are banned in those states.

It’s annoying. Technologically there’s plenty of ways to get this done. Politically, it’s going to be hard to get this to be a uniform multistate project. It’s much more likely that we have 20 or 30 smaller projects for the states that want to do this.

1 Like

I’ve used the California QR code showing my vaccination status and it worked well, but I was wondering: what keeps an unvaccinated person from copying someone else’s QR code?

1 Like

In theory the QR code would also have the name. So you would need matching fake ID.

6 Likes