Florida couple busted in Hawaii with fake vaccine cards

The CA QR code has your name and date of birth. It’s really up to the venue checking QR codes to also check IDs. Otherwise, they are easily shareable.

6 Likes

Friend was travelling with his preoccupied teenage son who didn’t bring any ID with him. Few questions later and they were on their way.
Dad thought the kid just ruined their departure but they didn’t have a problem leaving or coming back.

3 Likes

That answers that question. I only used it with work so that they could verify my vaccination status. They already knew who I was!

3 Likes

The judge must have watched Magnolia. :wink:

1 Like

Said simply - mothers; get stuck with more than their share of care taking tasks such as managing the kids’ medical stuff (or criminal conspiracy stuff, same difference). So then, because the mother did the extra child care lifting, when the thing came down the pike, she also got stuck with the fines for the fraudulent cards for the children.
But BOTH parents were in on the job, both were present, so not saddling any extra financial burden on the father (“hey, buddy, you did wrong but you’re only responsible for you!”) while fining the mother for her own fraud and the fraud that the parents committed in the name of their children, reinforces systemic sexism. The children are the mother’s burden and the father’s pride.
This is why many progressive governments are applying ‘gender perspective’ to all government ministries - even stuff where it isn’t overly apparent why that would be relevant. Here a simple rule - ‘the one who submitted the fake cards is the one who gets the fine’ binds the mother more than the father for what, in a more woke crime family, would have had him doing his share of the widdle forgeries.

3 Likes

For unclear reasons, Macy wasn’t charged.

2 Likes

Then the prosecutor must have watched Magnolia. You just don’t prosecute Quiz Kid Donnie Smith.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Judging by this topic, there seems to be a lot of confusion (perhaps due to ignorance or misinformation) about how proof of identity works in the context of proof of vaccine. Any topic that has individuals wondering about what happens in situations that they themselves experienced definitely calls for more exploration.

To keep it simple, hard-to-forge state-issued ID systems (e.g. driver’s licenses, passports) simply confirm that a vaccine pass/passport belongs to the person named on it. Even without the pandemic, in practise or by law or corporate policy the state-issued ID often already needs to be presented in the same contexts where proof of vaccination is now required (e.g. flying, going to a bar or club, and sometimes attending a ticketed event).

The CDC card is easily forged, but the new pass/passport formats being rolled out by the EU and the more reality-based U.S. states like California and NY are much less so.

10 Likes

I can’t imagine that Hawaii has any historical legal precedents for quarantining or restricting travelers in times of epidemic. I mean, why would some isolated islands in the middle of the ocean need that? /s

12 Likes

I’ve long admired Hawai‘i’s handling of such things. Gun in your carryon? I’ll help you check it with your luggage, ma’am. That fruit you brought with you to eat on the plane? Up against the wall, motherfucker.

7 Likes

https://giphy.com/clips/justin-AtzdLsQrUEG0xbrOOk

4 Likes

The officious credit union employee gave me a lecture about 40 days before my DL was due to expire. I told her that it’s a license to drive and that I could get cited for driving with an expired license, but it’s not supposed to be an ID for my CU. After a more later and I told her that I’d either use the ATM or have my passport.

eta: passport…not sure what happened there. :joy:

5 Likes

The Hawaii quarantine, implemented early in the pandemic, was upheld in court challenges.

2 Likes

I imagine so, since there were probably many legal precedents going back before statehood.

1 Like

I doubt they are more stringent than in the EU of all places. Privacy is one of the things they/we do better than most. And I don’t think there’s such a thing as an overzealous privacy protection law.

3 Likes

I’ve been in the states and you guys have an obsession with ID which we don’t have.

In Europe private transport companies are the real enforcers of ID for transport between states and, again, I think that you guys give them more discretion than we do.

Also: nope. There are a couple of things that are centralised in Europe but really, we do not have as tight a federal government as you have. Some areas are entirely national concerns, but the most powerful institution in Europe is the council of ministers. It’s really about what the states will accept.

6 Likes

Here in the US it only seems like the government is asking you for an ID at the airport because TSA is paid by the government. In reality, just like in Europe, the airlines are the ones asking for ID and they can either hire their own people to validate said ID or subcontract it out to the TSA. There is no requirement that the airlines use the TSA.

1 Like

That’s patently false with the new systems in place at many airports. TSA doesn’t give a shit if you have a ticket on you. You run your ID through their scanner and they let you through.

Meanwhile, the gate agent doesn’t check ID; they scan your ticket and let you through.

You seem to have the whole thing backwards.

4 Likes

When I say overzealous privacy protection law, I agree with you, in the sense that I don’t think there should be such a classification.

But i’ll use a real world example. The Portland Timbers and Thorns soccer clubs are going back to checking vaccinations. They can do this because your vaccination card is not an ID. What they can’t do, however, is request your ID to verify your vaccination card matches you, because there are laws against companies requesting IDs in Portland if it does not match with their “principal means of business.” For ticket agents, they do not need to see my ID to validate I am allowed because they have a ticket,which contains no identifying information on it. The ticket is my pass. The vaccination card isn’t a form of ID and they can require that as safety. But they can’t ask for my ID to validate it because that goes against the privacy laws.

When I go inside, and get a delicious Two Towns hard cider, THEY ask for my ID to verify my age. They CAN ask for my ID because it’s part of their business function to validate that I’m over 21. When I buy products at the gift shop, they CAN ask for my ID because it’s required for their merchant agreement, and thus to do business.

All facial recognition is banned in portland city limits. So when I’m sitting in the General Admission area of the North End, with thousands of other people, and a spreader event occurs, they cannot use photographs and recognition software to do their contact tracing. Seats in that entire section are first come first serve. There’s no effective way to do contact tracing.

Really? I haven’t flown since the before times, but used to fly pretty frequently, and TSA would always check my ticket and ID before I proceeded to the baggage check/take off my shoes portion of the fun.

ETA, I may be confusing the conversation. I don’t know if TSA are directed by “government” or by the airports? But they do always check my ID against my ticket.

5 Likes