Florida couple busted in Hawaii with fake vaccine cards

Originally published at: Florida couple busted in Hawaii with fake vaccine cards | Boing Boing

7 Likes

It sounds like the fine was $2k per card - and she submitted 3 of them.

28 Likes

Play stupid games (stupidly)…

I do hope this is effectively an $8k fine for them rather than $2k for him and $6k for her; but honestly, I have few fucks to give…

19 Likes

How they cracked these two…

9 Likes

I think the phrase you are looking for is Joint and Several Liability. That way both parties are responsible for the $8K in fines, and the couple gets to work out who pays what.

18 Likes

This is why it’s only a matter of time before we see proper vaccine passports/passes replacing the CDC cards as proof of vaccination. In the meantime, I’m glad the authorities keep hammering those Covidiots hard as an example to other anti-social rat-lickers.

14 Likes

“Here are my toddlers’ vaccine cards, and here are their driver’s licenses. I think you’ll see everything is in order.”

57 Likes

I’m going to need to see their CDL license before I let them drive this big rig out of the parking lot.

20 Likes

I hope they were also forced to leave Hawaii immediately at their own expense. Last-minute flights from Hawaii to Florida would be expensive but they brought it upon themselves. Alternatively make them spend the rest of their stay in isolation, ideally somewhere with a beach view so they could see what they were missing.

16 Likes

It’s so simple.
You get a vaccine, for free. (And you get your card.)
Or you don’t. (And you don’t get your card or any privileges thereof.)
$8,000 isn’t really a sufficient deterrent penalty; that’s about what their vacation probably cost.

13 Likes

Here is their diplomas from Harvard, and their license to sell liquor.

16 Likes

That is what I was thinking. Or does the author think they saddled her with the fine because she presents as female?

1 Like

What, in your opinion, does that look like?

Like the California QR codes. They are digitally signed by a private key held by the state health department, so very difficult to forge (i.e. without a California doctor’s help), but easy to verify with a smartphone app.

10 Likes

Thanks. So there is a database in each state that ties the QR code to a specific name and I guess the name must match the rest of the ID’s. Sort of like with the Chinese system.

I wonder how well this will hold up to:

I have a feeling that might start being required soon. I have that code on my phone along with a photo of my vaccine card.
We’re going to Kauai in Sept and I uploaded both to the Safe Hawaii Travels website.

5 Likes

I wonder what would happen if you land and cant find your ID’s but have your phone with a picture of the card and the code. Physical ID’s are not required to enter a state so not sure how they will resolve that. Technically they are not required to board a national flight either.

1 Like

I suspect the ‘right to travel’ will hit the brick wall of ‘responsibility to public health’. Your right to travel will not be infringed if you are vaccinated (at no cost to you).

4 Likes

I’m sure it will end up in the courts.

1 Like

I thought the whole Real ID laws put an end to the ‘no id required’ to fly thing?

6 Likes