Florida district pulls "Arthur's Birthday" from schools because it might lead to "damaged souls"

Look, I get it, if Arthur was playing “Spin the Fully Automatic Rifle”, everything would be fine.

We have to get these dangerous bottles out of the hands of impressionable young people.

Image may not be safe for work.

12 Likes

“Freedom” means a book can be banned statewide because a single lunatic doesn’t like it. As our forefathers intended.

13 Likes

Google “4-14 window”, a policy based on the idea that 4-14 is the age range kids are most susceptible to being converted into evangelical Christians.

5 Likes

Yup. When I was small, my parents showed me what the bleach bottle looked like, where it was kept, and explained what would happen if I drank it. They didn’t hide it and hope I never found it. That approach worked pretty well.

11 Likes

When I asked, my mom told me where babies came from, and that sex is a natural part of adult life.

14 Likes

The show on PBS gave us Steven Crowder, and that damaged my soul

3 Likes

Holy cow! Mind blown. :exploding_head:

3 Likes

In my experience, K-5 kids aren’t really proficient with reading and stuff like that, instead, you read to them. You know, the old bedtime story routine.

So my answer to him is… Don’t read the damn book to your kid and get out of our lives!!!

3 Likes

Schools regularly expect 1st graders to read chapter books by themselves, and then discuss them in class. At least I was. Maybe 2nd grade at the latest.

I don’t disagree with anything else you wrote, though!

2 Likes

If he can provide a soul, damaged or not, I’d like to see it.

4 Likes

So, kid jail.
Not even hiding the school to prison pipeline, are they.

If anything, the should turn more “discipline centers” into libraries.

9 Likes

But WHICH Bible do they want to allow? There’s how many different version?

Christian Biblical literalists are trusting themselves to modern translation of an archaic
English translation of a Latin translation of a Greek/Aramaic/Hebrew source. Is there any surprise it make less sense than the build instructions that come with the cheap knockoff furniture you bought on Amazon??

6 Likes

… the King James Version with James Ussher’s bonus extra Young Earth Creation stuff I’m sure :crazy_face:

2 Likes
6 Likes

That still leaves plenty of opportunity for psychological child abuse open.

I remember some story of a kid who had all his Manchester United stuff (including books) destroyed by his parents because Man Utd are nicknamed the Red Devils, and therefore evil according to Conservative Evangelical Christianity. IIRC The English courts ruled that it was child abuse.

3 Likes

Nobody will pay for damaged goods…

Confused Devil GIF by Bodyjar

3 Likes

and hey, it’s almost exclusively black and latino schools, so the white gop voters won’t notice a difference

According to the Houston Chronicle’s analysis, each school included in Miles’ plan is either majority Black or majority Hispanic/Latino. The vast majority of students at each campus are also from low-income families

( ^ archive.org link because paywall. do support your local media though! )

5 Likes

I’m not denying that- in my opinion, indoctrinating children into religion at all is child abuse. But good luck getting Americans to embrace that.

5 Likes

That was a lot of reading to get to the soul damaging bit:

" Francine shows Arthur how to play Spin the Bottle . The objective is to make the bottle spin in one place, and it will point to a certain person. When the bottle points to Pal, he comes right over to Francine and licks her face, to which she pets Pal in response. Meanwhile, in the front yard, David is still trying to open the clown pinata with a chainsaw."

2 Likes

Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

Vladimir Lenin

2 Likes