Florida driver caught by cops for using James Bond-style license plate

Not gonna lie, I always planned on doing this as a kid.

When my dad told me it was illegal, I announced my plan to get one of two vanity plates to baffle cops:
0O0OO0O
or
1I1I11I1I1

8 Likes

The obligatory xkcd!

(Source: https://xkcd.com/1105/)

21 Likes

Turns out he just bought it. :unamused:

ETA: Ninja’d by @bolamig.

4 Likes

Alas, the DMV has a database of vanity plates they won’t issue. Stuff like that is almost certainly on it.

3 Likes

In the opposite direction, I recall a story from years ago where an owner had a plate that the police system would default to when no plate was entered on the form.

6 Likes

“For use off-road and car shows only”.

Thank goodness for that disclaimer. That’ll prevent illegal use! Oh wait…

6 Likes

Doesn’t seem like it’d be worth the risk, but we are talking about Florida Man after all. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Wouldn’t an array of superbright IR LEDs screw up the CCD cameras by overexposing the area.

1 Like

Maybe I’m underthinking this, but for camera-based tolls, with a decent color print of some other sucka’s real plate taped over yours, would that work? Would the car have to be the same make, model and color? The system can’t be 100% perfect. Do they track down every failure?

But yeah, how stupid to try to cheat this. A fucking felony over a buck-and-quarter toll.

3 Likes

I’ve seen plastic covers that are only transparent from certain angles. Theoretically the cops won’t notice it, but the high mounted cameras will find their view blocked.

A close enough observer will identify something as out of place.

1 Like

I’m becoming increasingly convinced that there’s a relevant hardcore song for literally every occasion.

1 Like

Very true, but it seemed logical when I was 11!

2 Likes

His mistake was not using a 3M privacy screen filter turned 90deg. Clear from nehind but black from the high angle of the toll cameras. Noob…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.