Florida driver caught by cops for using James Bond-style license plate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/01/florida-driver-caught-by-cops.html

5 Likes

He forgot to install the oil slick sprayer.

22 Likes

There was something like this in Bavaria (okay, Franconia) last year.

5 Likes

I hate when people dodge tolls almost as much as I hate toll roads. Either pay the toll or use a different road.

There’s a whole lot that’s wrong with toll roads, too.

I am just feeling bummed about everything on this New Year’s Day.

4 Likes

A true maker at work!

9 Likes

In my state, to use toll roads you either thrown coins into a basket or buy an electronic tag to stick on your windshield,

There was a truck driver a couple years ago who used a less sophisticated version, he had the plate on a hinge, and would use a cable to pull it up/down as he sped through the Fast Lane booth.

These tactics are bound to fail, because there are a lot of other cameras on the roads between tolls, so the cops can just check those images and figure out who skipped paying.

2 Likes

That’s not what Bond’s car did [does?] . His button-push rotated a different plate into position, thus looking legit while throwing the database call off-target.
Q’s department would have fired any idiot who suggested merely blanking out a license plate.

23 Likes

How about a device that shreds the license plate when a cop sees you speeding?

Yeah, just covering the plate is stupid. You need to ‘obtain’ two extra plates and twirl the three around like Bond did.

2 Likes

Florida Driver

They deserved it

Wait, let me finish…

You said all I needed to hear, bucko.

1 Like

17 Likes

Amazon will ship you the “licence plate flipper” for around $175.

2 Likes

the blurring really makes the video.

2 Likes

b78

I mean, yeah, dodging tolls is bad form, even though I dislike toll roads on principle. But I still admire his creativity and industriousness, assuming he built it and didn’t just buy it.

Same in mine. But if you do go through the electronic toll pass lane without a toll pass, the camera snaps a pic of your license plate and they mail you a bill for the toll, usually a little bit higher than the rate for the toll pass. And it’s best not to try to use a toll pass on a car other than the one it’s registered too. The system will charge the toll pass account and still send a bill to the license plate owner.

3 Likes

I strongly condemn this man’s actions. The thing to do is to install a video screen that can show any license from any state. You can make up plates at random, or you can clone plates you observe on the highway. (Bonus points if the mark has the same make, model and color!)

or would that be wrong?

7 Likes

Just be careful which type of screen you use. I think lcd or led might be too obvious, especially at night. I’d think you’d need some sort of color e-ink display to really make it work.

But then how much are you spending for the system?

3 Likes

floridabb

4 Likes

The existence of state-approved e-ink displays would make building your own lookalike, programmable license plate relatively trivial.

5 Likes

“The name is Banksy, something Banksy…”

4 Likes
5 Likes