Florida family that sold bleach as Covid cure is off to jail

Originally published at: Florida family that sold bleach as Covid cure is off to jail | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I don’t anticipate any rehabilitation or changes of heart from these snake-bleach hucksters, but if they’re locked away from the rest of society for a few years I’m good with this.

25 Likes

When they return to their snake-oil peddling after they’re released (which I expect will happen; they don’t strike me as the type to mend their ways), hopefully the next time they show up before a judge that judge can take the fact they’ve already done this once into account during sentencing if they’re convicted that second time.

18 Likes

Bonus points if it is the “same judge” who originally sentenced them.

10 Likes

Well, not actually dead dead, but certainly out of action for a time. I’ll take that.

12 Likes

I’m kind of amazed they weren’t endorsed by our quack surgeon general tbh.
Wonder if our lovely governor will pardon them,

8 Likes

I’m (only very slightly) curious: did they think this stuff actually worked, or did they know it was bullshit. I assume the later, but if that’s the case, why wouldn’t you just sell some sort of lightly flavored water … it’d be cheaper and wouldn’t have the added risk of harming (and therefore shrinking) your customer base.

9 Likes

Schitts Creek Smile GIF by CBC

6 Likes

Well, there is the dangerously widespread belief that this bleach can cure various things, so they might have sold it, even if they didn’t believe in it themselves, because it fit into that set of beliefs. Presumably their intended audience would know the difference, and they thereby got more sales than if it had just been a placebo.

4 Likes

Glasses No GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

6 Likes

I don’t know, if they were smart enough to know the difference, you’d think they be smart enough to know you can buy bleach in almost any grocery store.

10 Likes

Well, they were probably pretty easy to find in Maryland.

Oh, wait. Did you mean Colombia?

I think it may be that it’s easier to convince people that something that smells/tastes “strong” is a strong medicine, so they used bleach instead of water.

1 Like

I sense the photographer at the Colombian Attorney General’s Office secretly wanted to be an auteur filmmaker.

11 Likes

Totally different bleach! They’re bleach connoisseurs, you know.

4 Likes

I mean, it totally is framed like his films, and the eccentric looking matching blue over suits contrasting the red in the scene is defiantly something he would do.

3 Likes

The camo facemask is a very Andersonian touch. If the guy on stage right had a gunmetal blue mask this would’ve been some kind of infringement.

4 Likes

Maybe this bleach is “special blessed” bleach since they were selling this from a “church”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.