Man peddling bleach as coronavirus 'cure' wrote to Trump this week

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/24/man-peddling-bleach-as-coronav.html

“Mark Grenon wrote to Trump saying chlorine dioxide ‘can rid the body of Covid-19’ days before the president promoted disinfectant as treatment”

4 Likes

I am going to write in: By quitting the office you disgrace and mock every f’ing day you can cure the World of COVID-19, cancer, heart disease, scurvy, hoof and mouth disease annnd any number of STD’s found in the Philippines…

Do it.

19 Likes

Genesis II?

6 Likes

trump is a parrot?

4 Likes

The thing is… Trump doesn’t read. He watches TV and bloviates/free associates in real time based on the last words he heard someone say.

I don’t doubt that this kook wrote a letter to Trump, but I still think it’s more likely that Trump was just half-listening to the guy who was speaking at the podium before him and heard “[boring science stuff]…disinfectant…[boring science stuff]…UV light…[more boring science stuff]…President Trump (that’s me!)” and ad-libbed the rest from there.

28 Likes

For those boomers whose memories are mostly reduced to random images from TV we watched as kids Genesis II is the movie where the woman lifts up her shirt a little and shows two belly buttons. Some kind of post-nuke mutant thing.

You’re welcome.

10 Likes

someone needs to take out an ad on Fox & Friends promoting DiHydrogen Monoxide as a “Miracle Cure” for this.

“It’s as Safe as Drinking WATER!”
“Aerosolized version has shown to be effective against the Flu and Common Cold!”
“Did I mention that NESTLE makes it? So it’s gotta be good”

11 Likes

FTFY ­

11 Likes

Thing is this drink bleach thing is a long running alt med claim. It’s one of the less popular ones but it’s a thing.

And while his light will save us shit seems to have started as a garbled take on these sorts of things being less severe in the summer months. Last night he was definitely working in some light and color therapy quackery. He couldn’t keep his bullshit straight, but that’s certainly a big quack topic.

Trump is probably hiring that guy right now. Loves quacks, the biggest quacks. Quacks like you’ve never seen.

9 Likes

More directly, if

…the kooky leader of a group that was pushing bleach as a coronavirus ‘cure’ wrote to Trump this week, right before Trump’s wacky presser in which he suggested that Americans might consider injecting themselves with disinfectant.

works, then we need to write to him that drinking small doses of (name your innocent-sounding cumulative poison here) every day can make your hands and dick bigger and make you irresistible to all women, as well as helping you lose weight and increasing your IQ.

It might just work.

4 Likes

19 Likes

9 months ago, Robert Evans outlined one sizeable proponent of the bleach consumption ‘movement’ in his weekly podcast called “Behind the Bastards”.

Part one is called “The International Church of Drink Bleach”, and was released last July.

8 Likes

Trump’s Razor states that the stupidest explanation that explains all the facts is the one most likely the correct one. At yesterday’s presser there was a display stating that sunlight and bleach and alcohol kill the virus, so I expect Trump was merely riffing on that.

19 Likes

Well Trump’s been talking about the sunlight since before that sign, since before Covid made it to the US. His whole it’ll be gone like a miracle it’s not thing was often tagged with “light kills it”.

So I think that one goes the other way around. Trump keeps repeating it, so they had to put it on a sign.

You’re also discounting the stupider explanation. That Trump is a long term devotee of quack medicine, but he’s too rock stupid to clearly repeat the bullshit he’s accepted.

Dude has had a long flirtation with Anti-vax, long connections to alt med MLM schemes, and every doctor publicly connected to the guy seems to be a con.

When Fauci get’s fired we’re gonna see Gwyneth Paltrow in charge. We’ll be steam cleaning orifices and handing out jade eggs.

9 Likes

Damn. I was speculating on Goop and Jim Bakker swooping in to start slinging bleach cures, and there was already a player on the field.

10 Likes

Meanwhile in the southern bible thumper belt

America’s Bible Belt played down the pandemic and even cashed in. Now dozens of pastors are dead | The Independent

7 Likes

True. Weird because I’d actually take Gwyneth’s word over any rancid hallucinogenic verbiage that escaped trump’s lie hole.

Excuse me now, and while I do not own a vagina, I am going to go and steam mine…

… with burbon.

4 Likes

Yep, that moment right there was the genesis of his insane rambling. It’s got it all. (And because he didn’t understand it, he probably thought it represented possible cures, which is why he kept talking about how they were “looking into it.”)

5 Likes

alcohol is a disinfectant. I vote we stick to drinking that.

10 Likes

Seconded!

Carry on.

5 Likes