Florida fisherman catches parachutes and capsule door from SpaceX crew capsule

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/07/florida-fisherman-catches-para.html

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if the “door” is a hatch which blows off when the parachutes are deployed. SpaceX are heavily into re-use so its a bit strange that they just left them floating around.

3 Likes

Huh. I wonder what he used for bait?

14 Likes

I read that they conducted the “rescue operation” as if there had been crew on board, which would involve opening the hatch, but yeah, I’m surprised they didn’t hold on to it.

2 Likes

As @Michael_R_Smith suspects, this isn’t a hatch cover, it’s the main-chute compartment cover.

The two chutes are the drogues . The mortar-fired drogues pull the main-chute compartment cover off and then extract the mains from their compartment. When the drogues detach from the mains, they keep the compartment cover.

Despite the Dragon capsule being overall reusable, these bits are normally discarded with every use.

TTBOMK, under maritime salvage law this would jetsam, and therefore, yeah, finders keepers.

[Unless ITAR arms-trafficking rules apply (and I don’t think they do, but IANAL), in which case it’s still SpaceX property and SpaceX is supposed to retrieve it…]

13 Likes

Maybe the hatch just blew.

5 Likes

Great conversational piece at parties.

5 Likes

Ground up tech valley venture capital bros

4 Likes

From the in-flight abort test. Starts at 23:00 with drogues deployed. At 23:31 there’s brief burst of signal breakup as the main-chute cover deploys. If you single-step through 23:31 (T+05:33), you can clearly see the drogues pulling away the cover panel, followed by the mains deploying.

3 Likes

Sea dragons

9 Likes

Who are you and what did you do with Florida Man??

6 Likes

He’s enjoying the 30 seconds of fame. Hope they send him a hat or something with Elon’s autograph.

How come that’s not littering? Does Musk own the ocean too?

2 Likes

That’s exactly what’s bothering me about this guy. He’s fouling space, the sky, the oceans, and littering the land with wreckage from poorly autopiloted Teslas.

4 Likes

Wait until he starts contaminating Mars with frozen human corpses.

(Not that what he’s doing to the night sky isn’t bad enough in the meantime.)

6 Likes

3 Likes

He should have the fabric sewn into a little bathing suites, fancy shorts, and bondage costumes with straps.

I mean even if you don’t for the bondage/SM direction you can rock some MC HAMMERTIME PANTS.

1 Like

Regardless, I’m glad to know the stuff was retrieved before any sea life got trapped in it.

4 Likes

Because rich people live by different rules.

2 Likes

Yum, Leafy Sea Dragons. As most Australians will tell you, these rare creatures make a delicious soup. Well, only the “leaves”. You discard most of the body …

1 Like