Florida gift shop flooded to draw attention to the state's climate emergency

Originally published at: Florida gift shop flooded to draw attention to the state's climate emergency | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Obligatory.

12 Likes

I love some of their souvenirs. We should buy some before the state goes under for good.

3 Likes

Convincing the out-of-staters looking for souvenirs is fine, but kinda misses the mark.

They need to do it at a Waffle House.

5 Likes

Why not the DeathSantis office as well? Kill two birds something, something…

11 Likes

(no actual avians were killed in the flooding of the governor’s office) a spokesperson for the governor said that mr. desantis’ vintage white robe was a total loss, along with the portraits of andrew jackson and nathan bedford forrest.

13 Likes

“My wife went to Florida and all I got was this Flotsam”

12 Likes

I hate to say it, but it may already be too late for the lower-lying areas of Florida. A lot of sea level rise is already going to happen. We’re on track for 2°C even if carbon went to zero tomorrow, so we’re doing damage control for higher level areas now. This train is rolling and it can’t be stopped. We waited too long to do anything.

It’s not just flooding- Florida’s fresh water is going to be contaminated with salt because the water table is so close to sea level. Salination of drinking water is already a problem in many areas, as is sewers regularly flooding up into streets because of how close they are to sea level.

Sea walls or relocating people are probably the only recourse for the low-lying parts of the state now. It sucks, but it’s where we are. A lot of people are going to suffer in the next 50 years who don’t deserve it, all because they were misled by billionaires and lobbyists.

10 Likes

She could have at least splurged for the jetsam!

8 Likes

Petition is to stop using dirty/fossil fuels in power stations.
Training alligators to garden mangroves, and mine magma to firm up the ground, nowhere in the proposal to be seen…

3 Likes

I really wish that it didn’t take this kind of in-your-face shock tactics first-hand experience to get people to pay attention.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.