As Florida reports all-time high for Covid-19 deaths, Gov. Ron DeSantis says threat is overblown

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/23/as-florida-reports-all-time-hi.html

8 Likes

Ignorance is Strength

43 Likes

In the thumbnail I thought he had been Beschizza-ed … however apparently he just looks slightly non human.

16 Likes

Remember, the important thing is to get back to work! Most of the folks dying will be black and brown, so it doesn’t really matter. And old folks who were about to die anyway! Move along now, we are fine. :face_vomiting:

36 Likes

So Desantis defeated Gillum by 32,463 total votes.

Florida has 374,920 confirmed cases

I wonder how many deaths it will take for that vote tally to have changed drastically to Gillum winning? :thinking:

12 Likes

I’m sure it is totally overblown. If, of course, you’re extremely wealthy, don’t have to show up at a job to keep from starving, and have bodyguards who keep possible carriers far, far away from you.

And that’s who really matters, isn’t it?

19 Likes

it’s the beaches! he needed to open the goddam beaches! 10,000 cases a day (last 72 hour average). what a dangerous, misguided moron.

19 Likes

I remember when the death of four Americans in a whole other country was enough for the committee on which then-Representative DeSantis sat to launch years of investigations into alleged government malfeasance. Now, Mr. DeSantis is governor of a state that is well into its second 9/11’s worth of deaths from something he thinks is “exaggerated.”

It’s almost as though he’s applying a different standard this time around. I wonder what could account for that. Oh well. I guess we’ll never know.

41 Likes

But it will be important to open the schools. That way we’ll get the educated folks too.

24 Likes

more likely to unappreciated, overly maligned, underpaid, and over worked educators…

24 Likes

I don’t understand how the people of Florida are not screaming for that fucker’s head yet.

Maybe once enough people have died needlessly…

26 Likes

The claim that FL needs a governor is, now, both indisputably overblown and a reasoned fact.

5 Likes

I don’t either… that might be the scariest part of this whole debacle (with regards to the specific case of FL, at least). Of course, I assume lots of people are, and we’re just not hearing their voices, because they are being ignored by most media outlets… which should enrage us, too.

22 Likes

I did a deep dive on this, and the Democratic vote does not skew younger in Florida the way that it does in many other states. Lots of retirees in (hard hit) south Florida who originally hail from much bluer states in the northeast. It seemed that if you tried the experiment with a few different reasonable configurations on how disease infection or mortality would be distributed, it wouldn’t tend to work out to the advantage (or detriment) of either party.

11 Likes

Seems to mostly be in the local news in Florida. Skimming through these there is talk of a lawsuit against re-opening schools and protests in Tampa, Jacksonville and Orlando, but precious little in the national news.

12 Likes

They’re all busy covering the “violent anarchists” that are"destroying" Portland.

15 Likes

Average US daily deaths from Covid over last 4 months: 1,188
Average US daily combat deaths during 4 years of involvement in WWII: 186

It’s true that Americans lack perspective here, but I think the problem is the opposite of what DeSantis suggests.

36 Likes

You’re talking about federal “law enforcement”, right?

1 Like

@brainspore I think it would be (macabre-ly) interesting to create a running list a town with identical population to the reported daily death toll from Covid, either at a national level or at a state level. To my mind, that’s the challenge of this is that it is dispersed and not all in one place at one time (okay, we’re one country in name, but in this case, geography matters).

Yesterday the reported death toll was 1,205 per Worldometer. Using the annual Census estimates, the first match is…

Litchfield Borough, Connecticut

Congrats, you’re yesterdays unlucky winner!

7 Likes

If the reported numbers are at an all-time high, I wonder what the real figures look like?

Florida Surgeon General Removed from Governor DeSantis’ Coronavirus Briefing After Saying Social Distancing Necessary Until There’s A Vaccine

By Daniel Villarreal On 4/13/20

16 Likes