Florida governor DeSantis says the state is reopening Monday

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/29/florida-governor-desantis-says.html

DeSantis announced Florida reopening same day as 350 new COVID-19 cases and 47 new deaths confirmed

7 Likes
23 Likes

Florida bookies aren’t sleeping tonight.

And the Reaper is waiting…

27 Likes

My sympathies to anyone being forced back to work and potential risk of infection.

46 Likes

I’m sure DeSantis is doing this to show his loyalty to Trump and the MAGA crowd. I’m equally sure that Trump will put 100% of the blame on DeSantis when the bill comes due.

Dumbass GOP politicians never learn. You can’t buy Trump’s loyalty with anything, even human lives.

39 Likes

The Sunshine State is keeping a lot in the dark.

20 Likes

What I don’t get is, DeSantis is supposedly a graduate of both Yale and Harvard Law. In my experience this tends to put forth a working hypothesis that the man is not an idiot. However, I have seen zero evidence to support that theory.

14 Likes

Is reopening in accord with current CDC guidelines? If not, could he be hit with wrongful death lawsuits?

I assume fear of such is the only reason that Trump/FOX stopped pushing hydrochloroquine.

4 Likes

Maddow has been really crushing it lately, hoping she tackles the idiocracy of Florida tonight, they were recently caught marking down the death count

BTW the first segment of her show is available for free every day as a video podcast

http://podcastfeeds.nbcnews.com/drone/api/query/audio/podcast/1.0/MSNBC-MADDOW-NETCAST-M4V.xml

also here

4 Likes

Florida Man.

3 Likes

didn’t they just get close to half ass closing it?

1 Like

Wow, they’re not even being subtle with their massaging of the figures:

The health department is also excluding some snowbirds and other seasonal residents, along with visitors who died in Florida, from its count. The medical examiners are including anyone who died in Florida.

14 Likes

It is a shitshow here in Florida. The only solace is all the formerly Republican voters who have been screwed out of their unemployment coverage that are vowing to vote for Biden (if they don’t get Covid-19 and die).

10 Likes

Going to be quite a bit of …um… survivorship bias in the coming elections.

8 Likes

The only thing missing is the Biblical golden calf.

2 Likes

Yeah - killing off your electorate doesn’t seem like a great idea.

4 Likes

Kudzu and boa constrictors in addition to alligators and palmetto bugs that fly up your nose and sinkholes. Add in coronavirus, and you’re almost as dangerous as Australia.

5 Likes

The government is largely immune from lawsuits

It’ll be “interesting” to see what happens. The death toll will shoot right up (after the incubation period) as all the sick people start mingling. Then what happens? Florida doesn’t want to expend any money on its citizens, so, what - they just let the virus go unchecked? Another half-assed lockdown for a few weeks?

Yeah, some stuff got closed around March 22 (restaurants, beaches - though it looks like some of that was on a county-by-county basis, so some are still open). Only in April was there a non-essential business closure and “safer-at-home” order.

2 Likes

To be fair, it’s pythons (and to a lesser extent, anacondas) eating the Everglades. You get the occasional boa in the toilet, but it’s just a misplaced pet, cruising the plumbing, looking for a cuddle. Kudzu isn’t an active threat, and it looks kinda festive engulfing trees, telephone poles, slow-moving cars. Alligators, you really gotta go looking for those. Bring a very young child, or a small dog. Make a day of it. I’ve never known a palmetto bug to fly up a nose – for one thing they’re much too large to fit into a nostril. Wide and long, that is, but still flat enough to sneak under your bedroom door, and not so big they couldn’t fit in larger orifices. And they do fly, but they’re not very good at it – more concerned with fast take-offs than precision landings – so you back-sleeping mouth-breathers take note.

9 Likes