Florida reports a massive surge in new covid-19 cases

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/26/florida-reports-a-massive-surg.html

10 Likes

I’m sure we’re all shocked at this news.

40 Likes

Wait, just alcohol? Are people still able to go out for burgers & fries & soft drinks etc.?
I’m not sure if it even matters- they seem like a lawless bunch there in Florida.

13 Likes

I know I am. I have a picture of these people bobbing for used tissue in the phlegm tub; egg toss, but with mouths and spit; licking sneeze guards, that kinda stuff. So that is shockingly low to me.

3 Likes

Will they still be allowed to serve bleach and hydroxychloroquine?

29 Likes

Sounds like you just stumbled on the recipe for a Quarantine G&T.

20 Likes

As an Arizona resident, I’ve concluded that the trajectory of this disease is going to be up and up and up until it runs out of hosts. There’s just no way to contain it when half the population is actively fighting against containing it.

I wonder how many years we’ll be living like this.

36 Likes

OK

40 Likes

It’ll burn out really quickly if we keep on this path. It won’t be years. It’ll be months.

It’ll be months with hundreds of thousands dead, but it’ll be over fast.

11 Likes

They can fix this, Florida man style, by stopping tests completely. Rate of new infections down to zero.

23 Likes

These people have always been in our society - watch the movie Jaws - where Spielberg pretty much nailed who they were and are - expertly.

21 Likes

I’m in NJ - an early hot spot mostly due to commuting to NYC.Florida has passed NJ’s peak, and the trajectory is still a steep climb.

8 Likes

Only if getting it confers immunity

19 Likes

tenor

17 Likes

The tattoo parlors are still open. Can we set up a GoFundMe to have the chart in the post tattooed on DeSantis’ forehead?

9 Likes

Oh, please, allow me!

25 Likes

Ginnie is an awesome place…if you’re a cave diver and can get into the caves without getting pummeled by kicking feet en route.

Notably absent from that video (and from every holiday weekend): actual cave divers.

10 Likes

If the pandemic ‘blows up’, the ICUs and hospitals in general will be so overwhelmed that they will be turning almost all Emergency Dept. patients away and have nowhere to treat those that are injured or ill from other causes. The total death toll including unintended consequences could reach into the millions. That’s why flattening the curve is so important.

25 Likes

You know I work in life insurance, processing people’s applications, right?

Take a wild guess which state has seen a massive uptick in applying over the last month…

46 Likes

I’m sure the governor of Florida will keep his job.

Remember that the mayor in Jaws was still the mayor in Jaws II, even though he was wrong about everything and sentenced hundreds of people to death.

16 Likes