"People are dying, and you are doing nothing!" Florida governor's press conference interrupted by truth teller

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/14/people-are-dying-and-you-ar.html

18 Likes

Say it loud, say it proud.

22 Likes

In fairness to the governor; he’s actually been quite busy.

Making the situation worse.

37 Likes

obligatory:

21 Likes

26 Likes

That was just on the main TV evening news (Tagesschau).
–.- .- –

3 Likes

It really sucks to have family down there. Especially my parents (diabetes with one, and stage 4 lung/kidney with the other). They are okay so far, but I worry that the hospitals are going to fill up soon.

Please, wear masks everyone. Not for YOU, but for those around YOU.

23 Likes

DeSantis has been negligent and corrupt even by GOP standards. I have elderly and frail family members in FL and they’re absolutely terrified.

29 Likes

Resignation is better than DeSantis deserves.

13 Likes

Mauled by alligator thereafter seems appropriate.

12 Likes

What did the poor gator do to deserve that? :wink:

18 Likes

You can affirm your concern about the hospitals filling up soon on the community COVID19 dashboard, created by the data scientist Rebekah Jones who was fired from her job allegedly after refusing to alter data to paint a picture more supportive of DeSantis’ plans.

Currently, that dashboard shows that around 12% of ICU beds are available in Florida, but there are some additional components that need to be called out. First, there are areas (most metro areas) where most or all of the hospitals are on divert because the capacity is not there - zero ICU beds. Second, the hospitals have been doing a remarkable job in creating new ICU beds by converting regular wards into additional ICU wards. That is going to reach a limit, and since the lag time from cases to deaths is around four weeks, we’re just under two weeks away from something in the order of Northern Italy’s experience back in April. Unlike Italy, DeSantis is resolutely denying the science in order to act as a Trump campaign surrogate.

It is quite possible that the death rate will not track with the case rate. I’d like that to be the case because fewer people are dying in serious cases, and indeed the demographic for serious cases has shifted from the elderly in care homes which made up the bulk of initial cases. However, it is also the case that FDoH is now not classifying deaths as from COVID-19 if there is any possibility of co-morbidity in play.

We should also expect some plateauing of figures around case loads. Again, there could be good reasons for this. However, I fear that it will happen (or is already) because testing has begun to get saturated or fail. DeSantis himself has stated that testing has been problematic in certain areas.

Florida Community COVID Dashboard:
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/7572b118dc3c48d885d1c643c195314e/

11 Likes

hashtag: “not all florida men”, something, something…
DAMMIT! I give up! My state is FUBAR. Burn fkking Tallahassee to the ground!

10 Likes

15 Likes

My dad finally fled Florida for Wisconsin almost two weeks ago - he’s self quarantining until Thursday.

I am relieved.

24 Likes

I have a cousin who just traveled to Fla for a funeral (Her MAGA husband’s father) and she came back with a sore throat and a cough…

19 Likes

So it’s the protesters? Not the partying tourists?

7 Likes

Need to swing upward and take us in GA, too.

2 Likes

It is batshit crazy that we need to put that kind of disclaimer in front of the death toll.

Thanks ⊥rump, but I’m tired of “winning” now. This is one metric where I would like to be a “loser.”

11 Likes

Living down here is frightening. Not just due to our batshit Governor who is doing everything he can to aid in spreading Covid, but due to the number of brain-dead, FOX-indoctrinated retirees who are hanging on his every word.

Seriously, don’t come to Florida…I always joke about not wanting the roads full of snowbirds, but now I don’t want the morgues filled with snowbirds.

16 Likes