Gov. Ron DeSantis spins his resistance to common sense as Florida is devastated by COVID-19

Originally published at: Gov. Ron DeSantis spins his resistance to common sense as Florida is devastated by COVID-19 | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Don’t Newton my gravity.

19 Likes

It’s to be expected when Florida’s government is in the hands of death cultists.

20 Likes

He’s using the classic “blame the immigrants” defense for the skyrocketing infection numbers.

What the racists refuse to acknowledge is that the COVID-19 rate in Florida is higher than the rate in most of the countries people are trying to immigrate from.

25 Likes

I think Disney would love when all the foreigners Mickey Mouse fans notice how much they are cherished by Floridians (NOT)!

3 Likes

Biden admin response: Feds close border of Florida and halt all outbound international flights from Florida.

21 Likes

The Fark headline got this best with, “DeSantis, whose state is 900 miles and 5 states away from the Mexican border, blames immigration for the all-time-record covid hospitalizations in Florida”

35 Likes

Trying to find the original article. Search terms: Fark DeSantis

8 Likes

Hopefully that will start trending. #FarkDesantis

15 Likes

As the delta variant spreads like crazy, anti-vaxxers are finally approaching the point where the rest of society, despite our best efforts, can’t protect them from their own stupidity. “Too dumb to live” is literally what’s happening. I just wish it didn’t affect people who CAN’T get vaccinations or those for whom the virus manages to slip past their vaccine protection.

19 Likes

Way too many darwin awardees this year

3 Likes

What does a sane population do when one of their elected leaders is actively contributing to mass deaths in that same population?

11 Likes

There has always been a lot of collateral damage done by stupidity.

9 Likes

The idea of a bio medical security state holds some appeal. At the very least, I am open to discussing it. I suspect I might not be alone there.

7 Likes

Oh ho, in Italy there’s something along these lines, which is going to have “interesting” results:

basically, one of the most disgusting fascist sub-cults is announcing that any member found out to be vaxxed will be ousted.
If this catches on, it could solve some problems in the political environment…

12 Likes
1 Like

Re-elect them. …Oh, you said “sane”.
You’d have to wait for that condition to exist before you can ask that question.

4 Likes

An intelligence test, with a cap, should be applied to all fascist parties.

1 Like

To fuck around is human; to find out, Florida Man.

10 Likes

If it could be trusted to protect equally, maybe. But the USA’s inherent, deeply baked-in racism and classism will ensure that anything that could benefit society instead, or at least also, harms people of color and the poor. If there’s any potential for abuse or corruption, that becomes the only possible outcome.

7 Likes