Gov. Ron DeSantis spins his resistance to common sense as Florida is devastated by COVID-19

I had originally typed “a well regulated bio medical security state” if that makes ya feel any better.

5 Likes

No, DeSantis, those are not the only two choices.

9 Likes

13 Likes

18 Likes

23 Likes

Oh come on, floridians are smart enough to watch out for their own health and safety from such an obviously dangerous situation. They really don’t need the government to constantly babysit them all the time to keep them from hurting themsel…

12 Likes

This. There’s little reason for me to care to upend my life to help those who refuse to protect themselves, and for that reason I am opposed to further lockdowns and mask mandates for the vaccinated. I’m not opposed to mandates, provided they’re thoughtful.

Ensure everyone gets paid sick leave and is safe from reprisal for missing work from side effects.

Higher lots of nurses and social workers and others to hit the streets in communities where people are less vaccinated (esp. for non-political reasons), tasked with providing basic education on covid, vaccines in general, the covid vaccine in particular, etc. Ideally have them come prepared to administer vaccines on the spot to anyone willing to get one.

Make sure there are medical exemptions available where appropriate. For example, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for someone in the middle of a high risk pregnancy to be hesitant to get vaccinated, even though initial evidence suggests its mostly safe.

Cut the doublethink about protecting children. Right now children need masks because they’re unvaccinated, they’re unvaccinated because the vaccines aren’t approved for children, they’re not approved for children because not testing in children made it easier to get authorization, and this was considered acceptable because covid just flat out isn’t that dangerous to children compared to other dangers we expose them to all the time so what exactly are we trying to do here?

I think as a society we have jumped the shark for the Darwins. It’s just not that funny any more.

3 Likes

I’m so stealing that.

We have a shortage of both, but especially the former. I think we need every single nurse we have working on direct patient care.

There are other folks who can do outreach and it doesn’t take much training to give a vaccine jab.

4 Likes

Fair enough. I am all in favor of using all available personnel in whatever way is most effective. I included that comment in large part to convey my frustration that some kind of at-scale in-person should have been happening for many months, and afaict just isn’t.

1 Like

Louisiana: Hold my beer!

Yeah, you’d better pray.

7 Likes

I thought this map summed things up pretty well:
20210805_102210

25 Likes

I honestly don’t know the origin, it appeared in a tumblr page that is the image name, but even on tumblr you don’t necessarily know if that person created it or is just sharing something they found elsewhere.

When you build your career on the death and destruction of others, you are a monster. Or a major U.S. industry, like Big Health, Big Pharma, Big Oil, Big Auto, etc. So one way or another, you’re a monster.

Time to bring out the pitchforks and torches.

download (15)

2 Likes

Evergreen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.