Florida hosts python hunting challenge

Originally published at: Florida hosts python hunting challenge | Boing Boing

3 Likes

For no particular reasons, how do you bread a really big python. Asking for a friend. /s

Seriously, I feel someone, in Florida, might cheat at this.

4 Likes

Winner, Winner…tastes like chicken dinner! This Is the Biggest Python Ever Recorded in Florida | Outdoor Life
She had over 100 eggs developing in her body!

4 Likes

I’m rooting for the pythons.

9 Likes

If they only ate people I don’t like, that would be one thing. As they are eating many native species to extinction, I’m ok with removing them. They are doing fine in their own habitat.

9 Likes

Given the amount of disruption to the Glades these things do, why only a 10 day season? Geez, we damn ear wiped out the bison, we can do this if we put some effort into it.

6 Likes

That was snark; apologies if it wasn’t as obvious as I usually make it.

I would have thought my MO was well known in this community by now, but maybe I’m just too self centered in that presumption.

8 Likes

I assume this is hitting the news because there’s a new TV comedy about it.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/comedy/craig-robinson-killing-it/

7 Likes

Don’t you know-nobody wants to work these days!

1 Like

ETA: Given that the pythons have such an advantage in numbers, I wonder why Florida doesn’t allow python hunting all year?

Also, Kalil eats python on the regular, too!

8 Likes

Hmm…I must have read this wrong

11 Likes

I’ll take massive pythons over massive cotton mouths anyday…

12 Likes

i am so totally onboard with this effort, just make it year-round. eradicate the muthafukas from the glades. bonus: python skin boots are super nice and so comfy! i have two pair (the right is adapted to take my prosthetic) that i just love! if you can eat them, more’s the better. there is a woman who is working to make the eggs into food that people might eat. however, as an apex predator, the pythons do accumulate toxins and heavy metals in their bodies.
lionfish, on the other hand are also invasive in south florida (and all of the carribean and upcoast as far as carolinas) are decidedly scrumptious and don’t carry the cigua or mercury levels that large grouper do.
kill 'em all and eat 'em!

15 Likes

I’m not sure why there would be a limited season; but I have been told by a family friend who spent some months herpetologist-ing around the area that pythons are very stealthy for their size. I assume that they also lack the “form up defensively if something bad happens” heuristic that turned out to be a massive liability upon contact with a predator that saw packed mass as a target rather than a deterrent.

4 Likes

Yeah, among the host of invasive species in Florida, pythons have to be among the worst. Lionfish might be worse, but it’s not a competition. Maybe we can feed lionfish to the pythons?

8 Likes

i’ll take lionfish ceviche any day over fried snake! there is going to be a lionfish derby off Islamorada in September that the mum and i may participate in.
no competition, but on-topic, python are possibly the worst. they have decimated whole populations of game and birds in the glades. that said, you won’t find me mucking about in the swamp at night shining lights at snakes (and getting gatored instead). nope.
eta: lionfish range is much larger than that of python.

9 Likes

Which is great, btw

2 Likes

The obligatory relevant Simpsons clip:

7 Likes

If the cast and premise aren’t enough to get people to watch the show the final paragraph of that review should, particularly this part:

Winning the Florida Python Challenge can bring life-changing money to people in need, and this show realizes how messed up it is that a state would rather incentivize civilians to perform dangerous work in a swamp than provide an appropriate social safety net or any kind of leg up for people who want to better their financial station.

14 Likes

ahh! the floridaman squid game, where teh poors win or die trying!

13 Likes