Florida issues new license plate design featuring symbol beloved by far-right fanatics (and it's not the American flag)

History means nothing to the right-wing, but when it comes up, they get the facts wrong.

5 Likes

We’ve got some lovely options in AK -

And some cool ones -

8 Likes

Whenever I see “Don’t Tread on Me”, I always think “…Argentina”.

3 Likes

Both KS and MO has had those plates for awhile. It used to be more of a libertarian signal, but it has been co-opted more and more by the far-right.

But it was a good historical flag before this.

Personally, I prefer the original Navy Jack.

Mmm - IMO I am not sure the use of the rattle snake was because of that cartoon. The severed snake is a symbol for unity, much like the bundle of arrows (a bundle of arrows is harder to break than just one.) But a rattle snake will strike if stepped on, thus it’s use with the motto “don’t tread on me”. It signifies not outwardly aggressive, but will strike back if attacked.

I could be wrong, if someone has a link with more details on the origins, I’d be all ears.

3 Likes

I’m glad to see that New England incorporates the brains of the operation.

1 Like

I laugh every time I see a “No Step On Snek” sticker on some three-percenter’s giant truck. It’s right up there with “Molon Labe” in terms of false bravado. But Florida doesn’t have to tell me not to tread there. If I ever end up in that state again in my life, it’ll be involuntarily.

2 Likes

“Don’t tread on me; I’m sinking fast enough as it is!”

4 Likes

if MoRon thaught he could get away with that, you’re damn right he would do it.
you know, to “own the libs”.
fuck, i hate that motherfucker.

4 Likes

It could be worse.

It reminds me of these old ones:

index

10 Likes

We need some “no step on snek”

2 Likes

I’m not a Revolutionary War expert but the Wikipedia article on the subject draws a pretty clear line from one to the other.

5 Likes

boKqkWf

19 Likes

I was thinking, “great, I look forward to anarcho-syndicalist plates!”

2 Likes

11 Likes

13 Likes

This exactly

1 Like

DontTread

20 Likes

In my redneck county there are several business that fly that flag. I will never set foot in there but I’m not their target customer.

Roy Wood Jr. does a bit about the confederate flag.

The link below is just the preview but the few seconds nails it.

2 Likes

Not that Azov Battalion thing?

Maybe next time

2 Likes

14 Likes