Florida issues new license plate design featuring symbol beloved by far-right fanatics (and it's not the American flag)

Originally published at: Florida issues new license plate design featuring symbol beloved by far-right fanatics (and it's not the American flag) | Boing Boing

6 Likes

So now the official mascot of Florida is the Sovereign Citizen?

7 Likes

We have those all over the place in VA already. At least the assholes are labeling themselves now. Good to know.

33 Likes

53 Likes

It’s hard not to tread on a person (impossible, really) who seems to embrace never changing and then gaslighting others so as to always keep their shitty bubble unpunctured from reality. On the flip side, I do appreciate when these people self identify.

2 Likes

No one owns the copyright on this design, so it seems like any group could adopt it. Would be pretty hilarious if this flag became more associated with a progressive movement, e.g. BLM or Pro Choice, both of which can arguably associate with the literal “Don’t Tread on Me” messaging (if not the historical).

2 Likes

This interpretation of the flag is so fucking stupid. The whole reason the snake was adopted as a symbol for the revolution in the first place is because of this Benjamin Franklin cartoon:

In other words, the snake was meant to symbolize the need for unity and cooperation between the states, not a statement championing the importance of so-called “states’ rights.”

30 Likes

I hate, hate, hate that those clowns have co-opted the Gadsden Flag.

8 Likes

I was about to post that I saw my first Gadsden VA plate yesterday, and I’m in the NYS finger lakes region. I was shocked, actually.

3 Likes

I’m sure they offer an anti-fascist option, too, right?

14 Likes

So, this is attempt to make this happen, but it’s not a done deal yet.

Having recently just moved to Florida, I’ve been investigating these specialty plates. As I understand it, the process is that once these plates are proposed, prospective buyers can buy a “voucher”, essentially a preorder for them. Once 3000 preorders are in, the plate is made and is available to everyone. This number has to be reached in two years after the plate is available, and they have to sell 1000 a year to keep it around.

So far, this plate has just under 1000 orders, so I’m sure this is an attempt to drum up the support required to get those other 2000 orders so the plate will be made. There’s less than a year remaining for it before it fails to meet this quota.

15 Likes

24 Likes

I almost got into a collision with a car with these plates here in Alexandria, after they cut me off.

The tag number on the plate was “ME B4U,” which I thought was appropriate.

13 Likes

I know it’s supposed to the wartime US jack, but it looks a poop emoji to me. Maybe, I need better glasses.

P.S. Don’t tread on me in is good advice for poop.

8 Likes

DeSantis meanwhile has claimed on Twitter that the plate is intended to send a clear message to out-of-state cars, “‘Don’t Tread on Me’ or Florida.”[…]

Send a clear message to out-of-state cars? WTF? LOL

While there are plenty of others like him, Ron is doing some keen projection on this issue. I love how he’s like “Floridians are threatened by outsiders so much we need to post threatening statements everywhere.” When it reality it’s more like… No Ron, that’s just you buddy.

8 Likes

“Dear tourists: FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MONEY. Love, Florida.”

Clearly there’s nothing DeSantis won’t do to help the Sunshine State.

14 Likes

Yep. First appropriated by Tea Party types now just full on trump/klan/militia whistle,

I know the assholes that I have to work with by the car tags in the lot.

7 Likes

24 Likes

tread

19 Likes

Don't tread

15 Likes