Florida man and woman find 80,000 bees behind their bathroom wall

Originally published at: Florida man and woman find 80,000 bees behind their bathroom wall | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Honey Bee Oprah GIF by Team Coco

24 Likes

The owner, after stepping out of the shower…

18 Likes

tumblr_mbbnm2C4gp1qacx6go1_400

16 Likes

Aw, I was expecting the longer version of that gif. /sad panda

2 Likes

1 bee … 2 bees …. 3 bees… this may take a while

7 Likes

That’s not a great scenario but i’m glad the bees were rescued :slight_smile:

10 Likes

on the plus side, there’s more bees than anyone thought previously!

8 Likes

They could rent it out on Air B n’ Bee.

22 Likes

10 Likes

Those bees look much calmer that I would expect.

2 Likes

I don’t know what the buzz is all about…

6 Likes

I’m sure Smoke will get em out.

And though the bees were rather small, they had to count them all. Now they know how many bees it takes to fill their bathroom wall.

33 Likes

Who came up with that estimate? How the heck do you count something like a swarm of bees with any accuracy whatsoever? I would normally expect even bee experts to come up with something a bit more ballpark-ish, like “tens of thousands of bees” or “around a hundred thousand bees.”

4 Likes

Was the house actually a police station and they were accidentally burglarising it when the found the bees?

Were they cocaine bees? Were they cryptocurrency tiger bees?

Seriously, this is the worst Florida Man/Woman story ever!

Worst Episode Ever

9 Likes

At last! I haven’t had a chance to make the old “count the legs and divide by six” joke in years.

25 Likes

This happened to us once. I guess the bees managed to chew their way into the eaves and access the attic. Which we don’t use.

Where they proceeded to build a pretty big hive in the floor rafters and joists.

By summer the temp spiked, apparently too high. And the bees had sort of penned in their entrance too much. They chewed their way through the drywall of the ceiling on the second floor of the house. Start flying around, but ended up penned into one of the small bedrooms cause it’s door was closed.

I figured it out when I was walking up the stairs and saw one dead bee. Then two dead bees. Then six dead bees on each step. Took one look at the Wickerman situation in that bedroom and left the house.

I’m deathly allergic to bees.

Had wait on the porch for my brother to come by with plastic sheeting and duct tape to seal the second floor of the house off, and clear any strays. He had to come back with bug bombs cause we couldn’t schedule a professional for almost a month out.

He said the bees were attempting to carry thumb sized chunks of comb through a 12" wide hole in the ceiling, and were flying right into the windows and walls with them. While others chewed at the window frame. Also said most of the bees were already dead from the heat, and the comb was “man sized”.

Volume apparently?

According to my dad, who did most of the cleanup. Cause I had to stay far away (dead bees can still sting). The number of shop vac loads of bees he cleared equated to around 60,000 bees.

6 Likes

In a bee shortage, some folks have turned to hoarding. And of course, it’s Florida.

13 Likes

Nobody else did, so I must.

nicolas cage bees GIF

6 Likes