Little girl's imaginary closet monster turns out to be 55,000-65,000 bees

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/30/little-girls-imaginary-closet-monster-turns-out-to-be-60000-bees.html

10 Likes

And thus a child’s nightmare is dispelled… and turns into an adult’s nightmare.

32 Likes

It was 60000 bees.

Are they absolutely certain that it wasn’t 30000 pounds… of bananas?

14 Likes

The beekeeper - whom Massis Class’s daughter began calling the monster hunter - opened the wall to reveal a large honeycomb.

honey ain’t cheap says this old hobbyist beekeeper (>$3/pound). here’s hoping that they could be safely hived typically by locating the queen and putting her inside a proper hive (with queen excluder attached) just outside of whatever hole they were using to get in/out. should also transfer any brood comb to save a lot of time. keep the kidlets distracted by letting them gently hold any drones (which can’t sting and like most males are fairly disposable anyway [wink]) …that is, try to save our critical pollenators, please.

18 Likes

Honey Bees Oprah GIF by Team Coco

32 Likes

I was hoping to find this here.

15 Likes

Honestly, at this point, insurance is just 98% scam and 95% of the problem.
not even gonna get into medical insurance and how that has fucked up an entire industry, but the few times I or friends/ family have had to do anything with insurance, it’s been a terrible experience, and a total rip off. Like, given the monthly payments, way more went to the company than they’d ever CONSIDER paying out.

Family should just have pulled a wicker man and locked the adjuster in the bee closet until a reasonable figure could be arrived upon.

10 Likes

Not a bad defense, actually. That’s basically how Squirrel Girl & Koi Boi defeated Swarm (a villain whose body is comprised of thousands of bees).

25 Likes

“Saylor”? May as well just put “Like Taylor But With An S” on her birth certificate.

3 Likes

i hope the bees are ok, but also props to the parents for the “monster spray” idea – that’s some solid creative parenting!

5 Likes

Swarm was the villain in one of the more deranged episodes of Spiderman and His Amazing Friends, which is saying something.

3 Likes

At least their last name wasn’t Moon.
Reminds me of a girl in my son’s kindergarten class - her first name was Horizon. Her eventual nickname must have haunted her.

1 Like

I almost passed this article up, but then thought, “got to see if someone did the Oprah/bees bit,” but then paused for a moment, “is twelve posts too soon?”
Not disappointed today!

7 Likes

Scared Cardi B GIF

6 Likes

(Some) bees can survive underwater for a week

5 Likes

Arrested Development Bees GIF

5 Likes

Wearing a trenchcoat.

10 Likes

WjfgbqM

ezgif.com-animated-gif-maker (19)

5 Likes

isn’t honey/bees coveted? maybe they can sell this massive hive/mass of bees to a beekeeper to raise some of the funds?

i knew of beekeepers who’d take large hives off you if they were external to the house

2 Likes

Insurance company: “Oh, that’s quite a lot of damage… too bad it’s down to an ‘act of bees’ - that’s not covered by the policy, I’m afraid. (/sniggers)”

2 Likes