Some idiot torched hives with half a million bees in Texas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/01/some-idiot-torched-hives-with.html

6 Likes

Fucking ASSHOLES.

God damn, I hate this timeline.

55 Likes

Great. As if I wasn’t already pissed off enough today. Fuck this timeline.

23 Likes

I thought eco-terrorism was people trying to stop pollution/deforestation via destructive means? Killing off bees doesn’t seem to fit the bill.

16 Likes

com-optimize%20(27)

Was this some sort of hit by the Hand Pollinators Union for the bees taking their jobs?
Were they worried they were migrant bees?
Was the hive abuzz about gun control?
Did they just discover honey they ate is just bee barf and couldn’t live with that shame?

12 Likes

First anti-vaxxers, now people deliberately causing something like this:

Dark Age Ahead…

15 Likes

Well, if it’s the goal of the ecoterrorists to wipe out humanity so we can stop fucking up the planet, then this would fit the bill. I guess it depends on how nihilistic the ecoterrorist is.

15 Likes

My money is on asshole neighbors that didn’t like so many bees close by and that’s where the thinking stopped and the destruction started.

46 Likes

Fuck people.

11 Likes

That’s probably far more likely than a rogue ecoterrorist, if you ask me.

13 Likes

Slow news day?

We’ve got some work to do in the lab…

(Not to scale)

15 Likes

Ummmm. Do you like eating?

20 Likes

Ray Harryhausen-big would discourage the idiots:

giant%20bee%20ray%20harryhausen%20mysterious%20island

7 Likes

Yeah usually “eco-terrorism” refers to acts of terror in the name of protecting the environment. This is like calling someone a “violent religious extremist” because they’re an atheist who burned down a church.

14 Likes

Sure but this isn’t a threat to that. There’s probably this many bees in the hives on my block in downtown San Francicso,… We had a hive on our roof for awhile and had to re-establish it a few times, no big deal, stuff happens. (Incidentally we literally mail ordered a queen from the internet, the world is a wonderous place). This is not cataclysmic at all.

2 Likes
5 Likes

That somebody would willingly disrupt a local food chain like this is beyond the pale and is newsworthy.

What if this is where your mail order bees came from? Not any more.

17 Likes
14 Likes

It’s newsworthy because a moron did it deliberately in the context of the larger problem of colonies disappearing and collapsing due to climate change. And stuff happens, but I’ll bet you’d consider it worthy of discussion if one of your neighbours who was inspired by this yahoo burned your hives.

When humans deliberately make an already dangerous or bad known situation worse, that’s indicative of a serious societal problem. See also:

https://boingboing.net/tag/measles

24 Likes