Don't forget to inform your bees of all important happenings

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/02/dont-forget-to-inform-your-b.html

10 Likes

I think it’s a neat ritual, as you mention it does seem to act primarily as a way of getting things off of one’s chest but i also really like the connection it brings with bees. Animals that live near us deserve respect and care and something like this would enable that line of thought.

26 Likes

Bees are easier to talk to when hanging out at the local watering hole. We’re in a drought here in NoVa and bees like drinking from my bird bath. When they are drinking there they seem to put up with just about every topic.

Close to 100 degrees here today, the bird bath will be full of listeners.

22 Likes

Who at BBS volunteers to go out and tell the bees about the possible impeachment.

12 Likes

Not sure if now is a good time of year to tell the bees, at least in my parts. It’s getting cold, they’re dopey and my message to the dead is likely to be misinterpreted, bringing all sorts of mayhem down upon the house. Think I’ll wait until spring.

8 Likes

Maybe this is why wasps are always so pissed off. Nobody wants to talk to them.

22 Likes

No, they’re just assholes.

25 Likes

I read this story earlier this morning and it made my entire today. So (honey) sweet.

Now if only we’d listen to what the bees are telling us about climate change.

18 Likes

I thought (and still think, frankly) that this was just a wonderful bit of nonsense from The Museum of Jurassic Technology.

4 Likes

THE MUSEUM OF JURASSIC TECHNOLOGY
Tell the Bees…
Belief, Knowledge and Hypersymbolic Cognition

http://www.mjt.org/exhibits/bees/bees.html

4 Likes

This feels to me like really, really old stuff from the Indo-European tradition, something like the Swedish singing-to-the-cows article http://boingboing.net/2016/11/07/traditional-cow-summoning-song.html from a couple of years ago. Accordingly, I find it delicious and supercool.

8 Likes

Who wants to see a bee butt? Saw this guy this morning.

Resized_20191002_100934(1)

15 Likes

I’m in MD, but not far away, and I wondered if there was anything official. Yep, here 'tis. I’ve mowed the lawn maybe once since July.

Back on topic, we had bees all spring and summer. I’m not sure what kinds, but I was glad to see 'em. (the kids, not so much.) I’ve got different blooming plants out front; they seem to go mostly for the hollyhock and Korean mint.

EDIT: a lot of carpenter bees, it would appear. I had not tried talking to them but they don’t seem to be bothered by my frequent presence.

7 Likes

Caitlin Doughty has a video about this!

14 Likes

Does failure to keep the bees informed contribute to Colony Collapse Disorder?

3 Likes

In the olden days, when I was a kid, we used to get those little boxes of Sunmaid raisins and after devouring the yummies we poke little holes on one side of the box and tuck a single clover flower inside - and then then we’d use the box to nab a honey bee and close it up. Then we’d shake the box and hold it to our ear - pretending it was one of them newfangled transistor radios. Children can be savages.

We’d let them go eventually. Not sure if bees get concussions or not.

5 Likes

Oh my god! I figured out colony collapse disorder! Somebody told them about Trump.

2 Likes

No, just the opposite.

1 Like
7 Likes

Beneath Ceaseless Skies, one of my favorite shorty story magazines had a nice story informed by this tradition:

2 Likes