Palace beekeeper's most solemn task: telling the bees about Queen Elizabeth II's death

Originally published at: Palace beekeeper's most solemn task: telling the bees about Queen Elizabeth II's death | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Did the beekeeper also have the responsibility of alerting the human queen every time one of the queen bees passed on? I wonder what’s involved in the coronation of a new queen bee on palace property.

17 Likes
14 Likes

My god…that’s the reason behind it, isn’t it? The Queen Bee must be notified like any other monarch

I wonder if Blair got her notice?

5c2d0c8b74c22f59f17309df614a0e12

ETA: why is @Otherbrother 's name censored?! Is he ■■■■■ !? Can we dry him out and fix this?

8 Likes

I was always told that the bees had to be told because otherwise they would swarm and leave. Telling them insured that they would stay put.

10 Likes

@■■■■■■■■■■■■ invoked the ire of the mods, and as such his name has received the ■■■■■ treatment.

7 Likes

If that’s true I haven’t been alerted to it. And it appears that I can still make posts. Weird.

5 Likes

T’was probably this;

8 Likes

If so that’s awfully strange because the moderator @orenwolf actually liked that post.

7 Likes

If so then my admiration for @orenwolf 's sense of humor has grown beyond what I thought possible!

10 Likes

I am aware.

I didn’t say nor imply that it was Ken’s doing; I simply speculated that exchange was the impetus.

Shenanigans of this sort seem more like Rob’s thing; but what do I know?

(Besides the workarounds for words like ‘troll’ and ‘moist,’ obvs.)

13 Likes

“Boy, when you die at the palace, you really die at the palace.”

5 Likes

Wait what? I’m not capable of shenanigans?!

Sad Its Over GIF by Star Wars

27 Likes

Thus the saying “what’s the buzz around town?”

14 Likes

I am sure that like everyone else you contain multitudes.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just sayin; of all the admin here, Rob is much more well known for his… antics.

18 Likes

So wait…in that one number in Jesus Christ Superstar are those actors are supposed to be bees?

@Otherbrother - I would take it as a “not-a-badge, but still an honor”! Has any other boinger ever been made a “he who shall not be named”?!

5 Likes

@beschizza is a well-known trickster figure here at the BBS…

10 Likes

Well, the Israelites were promised a land of milk and honey.

6 Likes

And after rewatching it, that cave they are in does seem to be shaped like the inside of a cartoon drawing of a beehive. So, I think this is canon

1 Like

“I’ll bee back…”

I’ll get me coat…

4 Likes